Gear Discussion Forums > Fender Basses

Made in USA, or not

(1/7) > >>

nofi:
i have heard that a product ASSEMBLED in the usa can be labled MADE in the usa, even if parts were manufactured elsewhere. i heard this theory as it may apply to fenders. any validity to this story. ???

angrymatt:
I've always assumed that if a component is made of either metal or plastic (or any combination of the two) that it was made in China.  This applies to everything, not just musical instruments.

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: nofi on March 28, 2009, 07:41:21 AM ---i have heard that a product ASSEMBLED in the usa can be labled MADE in the usa, even if parts were manufactured elsewhere. i heard this theory as it may apply to fenders. any validity to this story. ???

--- End quote ---

It works for cars and most other products I'm familiar with.  For me, it's not normally a criterion in the decision to buy or not to buy.

Chris P.:
Most speaker brands have factories in the east, so if you buy an American made Fender or Mesa or whatever it's likely you get Chinese (or so) speakers.

I think most Fender parts are made in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if control knobs and so are made in China. I would'nt care.

Dave W:
Not true. Under the FTC standard, to be called "Made in USA" the product has to be "all or virtually all" made in the US. That means the actual manufacturing of the product has to be done in the US, including finishing.

It's possible for some imported components to be used in a product that's actually manufactured here. But if it's just an assembly of imported components, then it can only be called "Assembled in USA of imported parts."

Cars and clothing operate under slightly different rules. Carmakers don't make unqualified "Made in USA" claims anyway. They do have to list specific US content.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version