Author Topic: You're all voting, are you???  (Read 8395 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: You're all voting, are you???
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 06:17:48 AM »
I wasn't offended, but I too don't want politics creeping into our little corner of the internet.  Life is good here and the rest of this stuff will sort itself out over the next 4 years.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 06:19:59 AM »
I think George is still aching!  :-\

I didn't take John's comment to be a stab against Republicans, but against Republicans that don't vote and then complain that the other guy wins. If his wife's colleagues had been black Obama supporters, not voted, but complained about McCain winning the election and how "blacks never get a chance here" it would have been the same thing.

Obama won for a couple of reasons. Yes, he is/was a figure of hope and appeals to American sympathies for the underdog making it. And he's a black man that doesn't scare off whites by going into emotional fits like Jesse Jackson did nor did affirmative action pave the way for him, but hard work and talent (which went down well with Hispanics I'm sure). But he wouldn't have won like he did (or possibly not at all) if people hadn't been so disenchanted about the current administration and the quagmire of the Iraq war. And then the financial crisis was the last straw that broke the GOP elephant's back. Conservative parties worldwide are elected by swing voters outside of their ardent followership for generally three things: 1. economic competence, 2. internal security/law & order and 3. external security. The Republican administration (and I'm not saying that the financial crisis was their making alone; cheap houses for minority groups is more a Democrat idea) lost in the public perception its economic competence (whatever little there was of it, I don't think that anybody thinks that George W. ever had a passion for business administration issues). Once that happens to a conservative party and "the left" is trusted more with the economy than "the right", a conservative party is doomed in elections, especially if you have a costly nasty war at your hands, that you couldn't "win" (in the sense or erecting a stable government) as quickly as you thought.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
I didn't take John's comment to be a stab against Republicans, but against Republicans that don't vote and then complain that the other guy wins. If his wife's colleagues had been black Obama supporters, not voted, but complained about McCain winning the election and how "blacks never get a chance here" it would have been the same thing.

Exactly. Our companies old investor (deceased) used to come in and complain about the Republicans non stop. He never voted either. I told him, don't express your opinion if you're not going to vote. I did not want to hear it from him. There are a lot of arm chair complainers who do nothing but bitch & moan, but never vote, or go to a town council meeting to voice your opinion. If you really want to get involved go to town council meetings and see what is passed under your noses- It's amazing what can be done if you rally a complaint against something, sometimes not.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 07:02:45 AM »
 I don't view this as discourse, just expressing our opinions. The trick I suppose is to leave your emotions out of it. There were things I liked and disliked about each canidate. My choice does not translate into disdain for the other. I think on many levels Obama will make a fine president. Like I said before what a country in four years we get to do it all again ! It truly is amazing what a difference 232 years can make !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 07:24:40 AM »
This election was truly "the perfect storm" for the Democrats (and the left in general). They spent (at least) the last four years sharpening their knives, and took advantage of every possible opportunity to add to their arsenal. Very organized, and actually, very Republican.

The things that bugged me personally were Obama's pledge to use public financing (which was abandoned), his original agreement to do the series of "town hall" meetings with McCain (also kicked to the curb), and (trivially) the constant whining of musicians and artists over McCain's use of their music. I was pleased with Joe Perry's support (he is apparently a lifelong Republican), but it came so late and so under the radar that it was of little use. http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news08/1030per.shtml
They should have gotten Joe and Uncle Ted (Nugent, not Kennedy) out there for some guitar dueling.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 07:39:28 AM »
There were things I liked and disliked about each canidate. My choice does not translate into disdain for the other. I think on many levels Obama will make a fine president.

My thoughts exactly.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:27 AM »
This election was truly "the perfect storm" for the Democrats (and the left in general). They spent (at least) the last four years sharpening their knives, and took advantage of every possible opportunity to add to their arsenal. Very organized, and actually, very Republican.

The things that bugged me personally were Obama's pledge to use public financing (which was abandoned), his original agreement to do the series of "town hall" meetings with McCain (also kicked to the curb), and (trivially) the constant whining of musicians and artists over McCain's use of their music. I was pleased with Joe Perry's support (he is apparently a lifelong Republican), but it came so late and so under the radar that it was of little use. http://www.sleazeroxx.com/news08/1030per.shtml
They should have gotten Joe and Uncle Ted (Nugent, not Kennedy) out there for some guitar dueling.

Ah, so Joe Perry is to blame.  ;D I can just imagine how a couple of rerecordings of Aerosmith chestnuts could have swung the scale:

- Dream on, Obi-boy!,
- Vote this way!,
- Dude (looks like a black man),
- Going under, 'Crats are in the Cellar
- Sarah's got a gun,
- McCain kept on a rollin'.

;D ;D ;D

As for Herr Nugent's contribution to McCain's campaign, I think a wider publicity of his views would have been as appealing to swing voters as a KKK endorsement!   :o ;D ;D Uncle Ted, for all his contributions to hard rock up to the early eighties and the beautiful guitar tone he used to have, has turned into a walking talking embarrassment and an election liability if anything.

Speaking of the KKK, there is a vid by some Imperial Geek on their official site (no, I'm definitely not linking to KKK sites here) where he comments on the election in a morose tone of voice: "See, this is what the KKK has been predicting for years will happen if the white race doesn't rally together ...". This time I'm glad, the "Hoods" were proven right in their "predictions".  ;D ;D ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 09:33:29 AM »
Thems is some good titles! I thnk you missed your calling - Weird Uwe Yankovic!

I didn't say I wanted Ted to talk, just play.
With regards to his tone, it's REALLY hard to make a Peavey 5150 (or whatever number it is this week) sound like six Twin Reverbs through six Dual Showman 2x15s loaded with SROs - even with a Byrdland.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
"- Sarah's got a gun" LMFAO
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:50:12 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
i think uber red neck hank jr.was a bad choice for whatever he was supoossed to be. a regular guy cheerleader, perhaps. ???

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
I still prefer we not engage in political discussions.  It only leads down a slippery slope...............

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:58 PM »
Maybe we should lock it up ? Though Uwe seems to enjoy this.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
Maybe we should lock it up ? Though Uwe seems to enjoy this.

Just another perverse pleasure for Herr Hornung, Esq.  Things must get pretty boring over in negotiations!   ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
Yes, this has run its course. There's no way to continue discussing this and not be political. Thanks to all for keeping things civil.