Author Topic: Gibson Investigation Update  (Read 1411 times)

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Gibson Investigation Update
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »
Tony

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Gibson Investigation Update
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Our government at work..........................sigh.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
Seems like unless they can prove the wood in question was cut after 2006, there is no case to pursue.

Also makes me think that the instruments manufactured in China and Korea probably disregard the same law - but what's shipped into the US is finished instruments, not raw materials.  Evidently the Lacy law doesn't prohibit importation of finished instruments made from prohibited materials.....?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Our government at work..........................sigh.
  Thats what really slays me, send machine gun toting guys for some lumber I'm impressed.
Tony

Chaser001

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
  Thats what really slays me, send machine gun toting guys for some lumber I'm impressed.

Jaywalkers are being targeted next, after that, people with overdue library books.  So, be prepared; these people mean business. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
several years ago a woman around here was actually arrested for unpaid library fines. :sad: if you can imagine it then it will probably happen.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »
It's like speeding tickets; it only makes sense to target people who already try to obey the laws. Those who flagrantly break them could care less about fines.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »
I could not agree more...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 05:11:26 AM »
For once I was almost in agreement with Henry J., until I read this here:

""That's not part of the Lacy Act," said Juszkiewicz. "The law doesn't say, 'Don't deal with bad guys.' What the law says is 'you have to do everything legally.'"

I hear that all to often in my legal practice and it's a flawed concept that in this day and age of corporate governance, compliance and regulation really doesn't have a place anymore in how an international company like Gibson should run its business. Buying wood in the nudge-nudge, wink-wink realisation that though the transactions are legal on paper, you might be turning a blind eye to the questionable source is a no-no.

"Both companies and Gibson said they have stopped buying wood from Madagascar."

That is what Henry should have seen to all along. Gibson is innovative enough to find alternative wood from pristinely-legal sources.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:12:39 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »
It's just the way the government responded with such overkill; it's pretty absurd.  No one cares about this except for maybe Gibson's competitors. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:58 AM »
That of course is true. There is no sense sending armed personnel into a dawn raid like that except the obvious "stating an example". Gibson didn't have heroin labs in Nashville.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »
Another thing that struck me as strange was that the legal definition of "finished" where the fret boards are concerned. Gibson claims it was met but the government disregarded it and went after them anyway, which doesn't surprise me at all if they're simply trying to make an example of someone. I agree Uwe that companies and individuals shouldn't stand behind legal definitions as an excuse (or absolution) to deal with bad guys, but international trade makes laws even more important because sometimes it's the only way to define whether you're dealing with bad guys or not.

If Gibson bought that wood in good faith and it fell within the legal definition of what was legal to buy, they shouldn't have to worry about retroactive prosecution because somebody in Washington got a bug up their rear.