Author Topic: First post  (Read 2237 times)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
First post
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
Hi all, new guy here.  I used to lurk over at the Dudepit from time to time and I just found this forum last night so I figured I'd check in.  I'm a long-time Gibson bass lover, I think it started when I saw pictures of Arthur Kane and Overend Watts in action.  I played a '90s Gibson T-bird IV for a while, then I got ahold of a '64 T-Bird II.  The new Gibby was no comparison so I eventually sold it off.  Anyway, here's a couple pics of my Bird & my Epi basses.  Hope to enjoy myself here at the Outpost for awhile.  -Frankie

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
 Beautiful basses!  Especially the '64!

Welcome, it's a fun place to hang out so bring your sense of  humor  ;)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:04:10 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
Welcome! I love the looks of II's!  ;D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Welcome.
Those are pretty basses you got there.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Welcome.
Amazing basses. You have chosen well, super nice.

What was your old name at the Pit?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
Welcome ! Nice bunch of basses ! Overend with the White Tbird II he was IT man !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »
Love the Embassy.  Brings tears to my eyes...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
Very nice basses indeed.  You'll find we have a strong appreciation for and attraction to anything Gibson around here.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »
Wow, an Embassy and a one pick up T-Bird. Great!!!!

Have you seen the movie/documentary about Arthur Kane? It's called New York Doll and it's... Well, I cried. Nuff said.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
welcome, Frankie.  nice basses!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
Nice T'bird Frankie...

I'm not allowed to own one... everyone here thinks I'm strange...

Welcome to the 'Bird-cage...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.  This looks like it may be one of the friendliest forums I've ever visited.  I do like to BS about music & gear quite a bit, but the only forum I regularly log on to is the Plexi Palace. 
To answer the couple questions here:  I don't think I ever actually registered with the Dudepit, although I'd occasionally lurk about.  I think I stumbled onto it when I was searching for a pickup for the Embassy.  And yes, I have seen the New York Doll DVD.  I thought it was very well done and yes, I also became quite sad toward the ending.  I don't know if I could bring myself to watch it again.  I'd rather pop in the All Dolled Up DVD - that is some fantastic footage. 
I almost forgot about the EB-4L I also have.  That's a real thumper.  I can't find any pics of it right now but I could always snap a few if anyone really wants to see it.  Always wanted to get an EB-2D also but I don't see that happening anytime soon with the way the prices for vintage gear has gone up.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
Welcome to the Outpost! Great looking basses you have there!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 12:55:41 AM »
Welcome, Frankie! Everything Embassy-related is of great interest with me. I have two of them myself. Hope it's OK if I ask a couple of questions concerning that bass. As I understand it, the bridge to yours has been changed sometime? How long have you had the Embassy, where did you find her? In what condition was she? The pickup you got, is that an original 60's Embassy pickup?
Maybe I should state that my interest comes from the fact that one of my Embassys was only neck and body when I bought her. It took quiet some time before I assembled the stuff she needed to get her in working condition.
And again; welcome!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »
Welcome, Frankie! Everything Embassy-related is of great interest with me. I have two of them myself. Hope it's OK if I ask a couple of questions concerning that bass. As I understand it, the bridge to yours has been changed sometime? How long have you had the Embassy, where did you find her? In what condition was she? The pickup you got, is that an original 60's Embassy pickup?

Hi there, the Embassy is actually my 2nd-most recent instrument purchase.  My buying days are just about kaput, or they've at least come to a very slow crawl.  I bought it on eBay in 2006.  Here's a pic of how it looked when I got it.  It was actually very playable when it came to me, only it was missing the original knobs, bridge, tailpiece and bridge-position pickup & ring.  Everything else was original, including the finish, and it has the almost-standard headstock/neck repair (my T-bird neck is in virgin unbroken condition BTW).  I hunted around a bit for an original bridge and pickup, then gave up.  I didn't want to (and could not really afford to) spend nearly the same amount I paid for the guitar for those two bits.  So since I never use the bridge pickup anyway (I've always been a single-pickup man) I decided to cast up a lead slug and stick that in there (which is what you see in there now).  I saved myself a nice stack o'bills, and it actually helps balance the bass a little bit better.  I bought two new P/U rings from Dave W., an aftermarket tailpiece, and was done with it.  I don't like how the bridge looks on there but it's working well for now.  The action is just about perfect and I can actually intonate it correctly, which I can't do with my T-bird.  Maybe one day I'll splurge on a couple of those nice new improved bridges I see around here.  The knobs I left alone as I couldn't find anything I liked better.  That's about it, thanks for the words of welcome!