Author Topic: Dean isn't afraid of Gibson  (Read 2634 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Dean isn't afraid of Gibson
« on: June 26, 2020, 09:33:28 AM »
I don't know what's happening on the legal front between Gibson and Dean over the Flying V, but this seems to indicate that Dean thinks Gibson can suck it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Dean isn't afraid of Gibson
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
I get a link to a Suzuki Q Chord?

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 02:35:14 PM »
Oh, a 3000 dollar FenderBird.  With EMG's.  No thank you.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »
There's this for 599$ (still EMG's though): https://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=819998129972

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
Did they pay his estate to put his name on it? It looks fenderbirdish but seems weird to have a "signature" instrument that is neither a repro nor a new instrument designed with the artist.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 08:34:45 PM »
Did they pay his estate to put his name on it? It looks fenderbirdish but seems weird to have a "signature" instrument that is neither a repro nor a new instrument designed with the artist.

His estate chose Dean.

I don't know whether or not this is one of the instruments Gibson threatened Dean over, but remember Dean is heading the group petitioning TTAB to cancel Gibson's body shape trademarks. That process will take several years.

Dean isn't afraid.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 05:05:15 AM »
I don't like the fact that Dean makes a bass Entwistle never played. I believe after his dead several companies said they were busy with designing a bass for Entwistle. If I'm right Alembic and Lakland. I can not really believe it, cos he was so into carbon fibre basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
I don't like the fact that Dean makes a bass Entwistle never played. I believe after his dead several companies said they were busy with designing a bass for Entwistle. If I'm right Alembic and Lakland. I can not really believe it, cos he was so into carbon fibre basses.

Dean Announces John Entwistle Signature Series Basses

According to John's son Chris Entwistle, the estate chose Dean because of their attention to detail plus their willingness and ability to bring the project to market swiftly without sacrificing quality.

I doubt that Premier Guitar would publish the story without verifying.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »
Okay, so his son signed off and his drummer was involved. I have no reason to think I would know better than them. Clearly nothing fishy happened. It seems like an evolution of 40 year old Entwistle ideas that he had left behind 30 years ago. And there's nothing wrong with that and instruments like that come out all the time. I suspect if he were alive he would instead have come up with something new by now, if not still playing Buzzards. But nobody can guess what that would have been.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »
Okay, so his son signed off and his drummer was involved. I have no reason to think I would know better than them. Clearly nothing fishy happened. It seems like an evolution of 40 year old Entwistle ideas that he had left behind 30 years ago. And there's nothing wrong with that and instruments like that come out all the time. I suspect if he were alive he would instead have come up with something new by now, if not still playing Buzzards. But nobody can guess what that would have been.

Most likely you're right. Unfortunately he left this earth too soon.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 04:19:36 AM »
I don't say the Dean deal is fishy. I only don't think Entwistle fans like this bass.

I do say I don't really believe Lakland and Alembic.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »

I don't know whether or not this is one of the instruments Gibson threatened Dean over, but remember Dean is heading the group petitioning TTAB to cancel Gibson's body shape trademarks. That process will take several years.

Dean isn't afraid.

I think it is mostly V- and Explorer shaped guitars that has grabbed Gibson's attention.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »
I think it is mostly V- and Explorer shaped guitars that has grabbed Gibson's attention.

I looked it up, the lawsuit involves seven alleged trademark infringements: ..."the body shape design of the Flying V, Explorer, ES and SG, as well as the ‘Dove Wing’ headstock design, the ‘Hummingbird’ name and the ‘Moderne’ trademark."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
Once the Dean Special Forces get going, I don't see Gibson standing a chance.  :popcorn:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
I thought Dean discontinued the girls.