Author Topic: It takes a special kind of stupid...  (Read 15161 times)

Jeff Scott

• View Profile
Re: It takes a special kind of stupid...
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
I would want to do my own thing, not someone else's.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »
I hadn't heard of Echopark before yesterday. Turns out there's a thread at the Gear Page about their terrible quality. It started April 30 and has racked up 58 pages since then. Looks like one horror story after another of terrible quality and customer service.

My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Gibson picks a winner!  :rolleyes:

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »
I hadn't heard of Echopark before yesterday. Turns out there's a thread at the Gear Page about their terrible quality. It started April 30 and has racked up 58 pages since then. Looks like one horror story after another of terrible quality and customer service.

My Echopark Guitars Nightmare

Gibson picks a winner!  :rolleyes:

I heard a Podcast interview with the Echopark guy. He was basically a felon of sorts who had guitar making skills in his back pocket, so he basically took that up to give himself something to do. From his chat he was all about returning to the pure form of electrical guitar manufacturing not seen since the '50s. The right materials and the right techniques. Quite funny that his guitars are a crock of shite, but oddly pleasing at the same time.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
Detroit-based Echopark Guitars signs licensing deal with Gibson

Lame attempt to deflect all the bad publicity by licensing a boutique maker.

YEP

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
if it was as efficient and airworthy as they say, someone would have brought something to market by now

They have for military aircraft (F-117; B-2).  ... and if you think outside the triangular mono-wing box, even the F16, Concorde, and SR-71  fit the trend in a proto sense - you can see how the design got there.

... and uh, yeah eff Gibson (it occurs to me that if they focused on Chibsons, actual counterfeits, they'd have the support of darn near everybody; they could even get away with cracking down on decals and headstock veneers on ebay without very much public backlash, but no, they had to try the same old thing thet blew up in their faces last time with PRS ).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »
How lame is that! Now the guy who used to demo copies from Norm's and talk about how good they were is suddenly all about the originals. I do agree with him about Fender but he's such a hypocrite!

What about this? Guess it isn't "authentic".  :mrgreen:

Did anyone here have any respect for him to begin with?  His demos sucked - he often got his info wrong (esp when it came to Gibson basses) and generally not a good speaker.  He was OK at5 best - fact check everything he says.

I don't want to defend him, because principles should win  (granted, I've never had a conflict of this magnitude to test mine) but he's new at Gibson, quit Norm's (right?) - his choice is suck that dick for your $50 or be out of work.  Same old 'just following orders' thing. 

Even though he wasn't that good (IMHO) I think he had enough of a following that if he had to he could launch his own youtube gear channel and based on his experience at Norm's and the public support he would have had for telling Gibson they're being stupid, could have made a real go of it.... but instead he's either a chicken shit or a whore.  Hell, Dean would send him guitars to demo/review I'm sure of it - who better to do that for your V than someone who has actually played many original vintage Gibsons and therefore can compare them.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2019, 04:24:30 PM »
Jake you paraphrased Yo Cats by Frank Zappa!  :)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
Did anyone here have any respect for him to begin with?  His demos sucked - he often got his info wrong (esp when it came to Gibson basses) and generally not a good speaker.  He was OK at5 best - fact check everything he says.

Jake, I'm 100% sure you fact check most things you find on the internet. There is no reason he should be different :)
If I were to disrespect everyone who unknowingly called the early (and somewhat muddy) Gibson singlecoil bass pickup a mudbucker,
I'd have very few friends. I did not like his videos, actually I'm not to fond of reviews on line at all - but his presentation was not worse than most others I have seen.

I don't want to defend him, because principles should win  (granted, I've never had a conflict of this magnitude to test mine) but he's new at Gibson, quit Norm's (right?) - his choice is suck that dick for your $50 or be out of work.  Same old 'just following orders' thing. 

You are absolutely right, let's all stop sucking dick and quit our jobs :-X

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2019, 10:51:43 PM »
I heard a Podcast interview with the Echopark guy. He was basically a felon of sorts who had guitar making skills in his back pocket, so he basically took that up to give himself something to do. From his chat he was all about returning to the pure form of electrical guitar manufacturing not seen since the '50s. The right materials and the right techniques. Quite funny that his guitars are a crock of shite, but oddly pleasing at the same time.

If he's not already a felon, he may wind up being one yet, if what I'm reading on TGP is any indication.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
Jake you paraphrased Yo Cats by Frank Zappa!  :)

LOL, I often agree with him.... there are some disagreements

Jake, I'm 100% sure you fact check most things you find on the internet. There is no reason he should be different :)
If I were to disrespect everyone who unknowingly called the early (and somewhat muddy) Gibson singlecoil bass pickup a mudbucker,
I'd have very few friends. I did not like his videos, actually I'm not to fond of reviews on line at all - but his presentation was not worse than most others I have seen.

You are absolutely right, let's all stop sucking dick and quit our jobs :-X

If we ALL did at the same time it might actually work!  You first though. ;)  I never said quit; I said object to bad ideas, which doesn't always mean getting fired (lucky for me).

Opinions are like arsehoese... I think there are plenty of reviewers better than him (in terms of delivery).

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »

I'm surprised he never broke a headstock when he was swinging guitars around in that storage space.

He clearly thinks he is a good speaker and musician.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2019, 09:42:26 AM »
How lame is that! Norm must be running out of rare guitars.

So today they're featuring a new MIM Tele

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
More Gibson stupidities:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2019, 01:13:06 PM »
Yep - saw that elsewhere.  The humanity.