Author Topic: 'New' SG basses  (Read 5781 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 'New' SG basses
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 11:07:54 AM »
To me, it's all in the balance. A 7 lb. neck diver would cause my shoulder and neck to hurt. I'd rather have a well balanced bass even if it were 2-3 lbs. heavier. 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
Yes, that's a good point.  In my case, I have to do all kinds of things I never thought I'd be doing, though.  Like sometimes switching over to fingerstyle because it puts such less strain on my screwed up neck.  Of course, I can never be as good at that as I've been playing pickstyle, unless maybe I practice nonstop at it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
Thanks.  I was thinking it was probably about 7 lbs, but wasn't sure.  I wish weight didn't have to be such of an issue for me, but it is, unfortunately.  But 7 lbs is not bad. 

I've been having shoulder and neck issues, so I can sympathize with you.  Weight and scale length have been an issue for me over the last year. Ugh!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
I've been having shoulder and neck issues, so I can sympathize with you.  Weight and scale length have been an issue for me over the last year. Ugh!

It's why Danelectro and Hofner have become more appealing to me now than they were before.  Nevertheless, something like this SG Special may work out.  I hope so. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »
Took the neck pup cover off yesterday, saw the pup was crooked and low in the cavity.   added 1/2" of foam under it.  Again, the e-string sounds much stronger.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
Only a matter of time...

Here's what your new tone caps will look like.  Try getting that as a paper-in-oil   :P ;D

Yep. I would also like to point out that the cap (and any other passive SMT part) is roughly the size of a couple of sesame seeds. That's about the same size as the kidney stones I have and sometimes much more painful to deal with. I would not be surprised in the least if Gibson USA is using pre-fab tone boards from overseas. It's getting to the point that a Gibson is only worth the wood in the body and neck, the hardware, and the pickups. Lazy finishes, shit electronics outside the pickups themselves, and THEN there are the serious numbers of QC issues, like the workers in Nashville are putting love into the product at a ratio of what Gibson does into their pockets, and I don't blame them one bit.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
Does anyone know if the QC on the Gibson acoustic instruments is holding up?  There's a lot of evidence here that they're not consistent on their electronic instruments.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
Does anyone know if the QC on the Gibson acoustic instruments is holding up?  There's a lot of evidence here that they're not consistent on their electronic instruments.

There is someone on the reranch forum who seems to know about that kind of thing.  I can't remember his name, though.  I haven't been there in years.  Too much about guitar and not enough about bass for me.   

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
I've seen the circuit boards that are in certain Gibson guitars. They do have the Gibson logo printed on them. That certainly doesn't mean they were made in USA; considering Gibson's Chinese investments, I seriously doubt it.

This apparently has been going on since 2008, and isn't just on the cheapest models.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
  I have a worn finish SG that I really love, I like the worn finish quite a bit. Hmmmmmmmmm that reminds me I have a 60's muddy for it. I have today of I think I'll break out the soldering iron.  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
I need to play my '64 EB-0 more.  With the Model One in it, the sound is more versatile than a straight mudbucker would allow - and it's so darn light and easy to play!  when I got it I regretted having the Model One in there, but over time I've come to realize that it adds versatility to a bass that wasn't collector grade anyway.

Yes, It has Labella Deep Talkin' flats and the original bridge.  It intonates fine, thanks.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
In better shape than the typical mid-60s EB-0, too.  I'd personally rather have everything original, too.  But you're right, this isn't anything near as important to collectors (or players) as an EB-3 anyway.  But light as a feather, and a pleasure to play (with no neck dive at all.) 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:00:50 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 08:32:59 AM »
That's a fine looking EB-0! Very cool.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:22 AM »
In better shape than the typical mid-60s EB-0, too.  I'd personally rather have everything original, too.  But you're right, this isn't anything near as important to collectors (or players) as an EB-3 anyway.  But light as a feather, and a pleasure to play (with no neck dive at all.) 

It has its share of finish checking and a repaired headstock crack that didn't QUITE turn into a broken-off headstock.  Between the break and the extra pickup (installed in it when I got it, but only a hole where the mudbucker went) it's no collector.

But you're right - beautifully light, nicely balanced and fun to play.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
It has its share of finish checking and a repaired headstock crack that didn't QUITE turn into a broken-off headstock.  Between the break and the extra pickup (installed in it when I got it, but only a hole where the mudbucker went) it's no collector.

But you're right - beautifully light, nicely balanced and fun to play.

I have an old EB -0 too that is great to play, just a little muddy though!