Author Topic: 'New' SG basses  (Read 5784 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 'New' SG basses
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
If you have an active preamp on a PCB, it makes sense to mount the pots and jack on the board as part of the manufacturing process, although it complicates replacing them. There's no reason or excuse for it on simple passive guitar or bass. That's why I suspect these are being imported as a complete assembly.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Yeah - I don't disagree; mostly joking about how cruddy most guitar pots are.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
That's why I suspect these are being imported as a complete assembly.

I'd bet that's a safe assumption.  

Even in a simple passive setup, a pick-and-place robot could stuff and solder a PC board in a fraction of the time it would take a worker to manually fly wires and build up the harness...

Most of the board manufacture and automated assembly is happening in east Asia.  Anyone can order it online now from board houses like PCBCart.com, and get complete, assembled circuit boards back in the mail.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 06:41:55 AM »
I heard from several sources that fretboards are made in the right size and cut in Asia. I din't know if frets are mounted in the US. They just have to put on the boards on the neck. Wasn't that where the raid was about? A fretboard not being wood but a semi finished product or something?

I also heard all the wiring harnesses of at least the cheaper instruments are wired in Asia.

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
If you scroll down on the Gibson page you can select 3 different colors - I like the chocolate!

Cool. Didn't see those there.

Thx,

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

LoEndMaestro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 09:12:34 AM »
I am very happy with my new Chocolate Satin SG Special.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »
I like my SG Special that I got a few weeks ago.  Nice little bass for the money.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
I heard from several sources that fretboards are made in the right size and cut in Asia. I din't know if frets are mounted in the US. They just have to put on the boards on the neck. Wasn't that where the raid was about? A fretboard not being wood but a semi finished product or something?

I also heard all the wiring harnesses of at least the cheaper instruments are wired in Asia.

It wouldn't surprise me about the wiring harnesses, but if they were caught importing cut and sized fretboards, then the guitars would no longer qualify for the Made In USA label. The body and neck have to be completely manufactured here in order to qualify.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me to find out they were trying to get away with something like this, but I don't think so in this case. They have said that they are importing sheets of veneer and laminating the fretboards here.

They did get caught by the Federal Trade Commission some years ago for importing partially manufactured necks from Japan for their Montana acoustics and labeling those guitars as Made In USA; they were told to stop or relabel.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »
Keeps the cost down.   :-\   I don't have anything against satin finishes done well, but most Gibsons I've seen aren't done well.

FWIW - the satin tobacco finish on the Explorer I had for a while was really good. Some of the sanding around the neck/body joint could have been better though.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:16 AM »
I like the new fireburst satin SG. Nicely priced at $700 too. The new walnut/gloss model is really beautiful and my favorite of the finishes but twice the price.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
FWIW - the satin tobacco finish on the Explorer I had for a while was really good. Some of the sanding around the neck/body joint could have been better though.

Bad sanding would change it from 'good' to 'not good' for me. There's no excuse. My cheapo Melody Maker is smooth. No reason the more expensive ones shouldn't be.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
If anyone knows what one of these SG Special basses weighs, I'd really love to know.  I got some whiplash injuries years ago and try to stay with light basses now.  It's my guess it's pretty light, but I just don't know for sure. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 06:18:10 AM »
Mine comes in at 7 lbs.  I got mine on one of those sales last month.  It has a small finish flaw where the nitro sunk into the grain a little on the back.  Finish flaw?  I thought Gibson made them all like that!!!  Anyway, for a few bucks over $800 for a new SG, I couldn't resist.  The tuners are heavy and it has a slight neck dive, but nothing my padded neoprene strap couldn't counteract.  Putting lite tuners on it could make it even lighter.

I played it at a gig last month and it did a nice job.  As usual, an easy bass to play and wear long term.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
Sweetwater lists the weight for each one on their site (others may too, IDK), it's kind of interesting to compare the different serial numbers and see how much the weight varies on the same model.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »
Thanks.  I was thinking it was probably about 7 lbs, but wasn't sure.  I wish weight didn't have to be such of an issue for me, but it is, unfortunately.  But 7 lbs is not bad. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal