Author Topic: Fair Price for a 63 Rivoli w/issues?  (Read 1746 times)

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
Fair Price for a 63 Rivoli w/issues?
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:15:38 PM »
Could I get a few 2ยข from you guys regarding the value of a 1963 Epi Rivoli in fair condition.

Issues are:

1) Refretted up to the 12th fret

2) Electronics need rewiring (boogered). Bass sounds wrong with present wiring (mudbucker reads 28.6K ohms taken directly from the pickup but output at the jack is strange and unuseable.

3) Replaced 'Baritone' bakelite button w/toggle

4) Back of the neck pretty hagged (more than a comfortable amount of nicks and gouges...a couple severe.

5) Finish is about a 7-8 (sunburst faded and usual nicks, gouges and a number of worn spots)

6) Non-stock handmade slightly weird large wooden case (I only mention this cuz I saw a 60's Gibson EB-2 case go for over $500 the other day...amazing

7) No pickguard.

Can I get your guys perspective as to what you think a fair market value and/or range of pricing would be in your experience? I have a guess but I'm curious what your experience tells you without me stating #'s.

Help Please ;-)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Fair Price for a 63 Rivoli w/issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
The examples I've seen recently have all been later sixties model Rivolis.  Those ranged from low-to-mid 1K (example) to low 2K (example - even though that's an asking price, I have seen a number of clean EB-2s sell in this range- so it's probably not too far off). 

So based on those examples, and considering the condition and the fact that it's an earlier one, I'd guesstimate ~$1500.

That's my completely un-scientific, Ebay-fanatic opinion.   ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »
Cheap Bill will chime in and say that I'd pay $1200 for it because it's a 63, but I'm not a good judge as I'm tight when they are not in very good condition.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
I am king of cheap, so I would pay as little as possible, grinding all the way.  But that is me.  As to the value, I am in agreement that these days this sounds in the G range.

My thoughts on issues:

Issues are:

1) Refretted up to the 12th fret (This really isn't bad in my world. A good fret job means it was played a lot, and owned by someone who cared.  Those are both good things.  A really bad fret job means someone at least noticed.  With hacks and dings in the finish, the frets if done nicely won't kill the vintage value of these things, which is still low in general.)

2) Electronics need rewiring (boogered). Bass sounds wrong with present wiring (mudbucker reads 28.6K ohms taken directly from the pickup but output at the jack is strange and unuseable.  (It is in project status anyway, so poking around inside is half the fun.  Plus, it has been messed with, so you can hot rod and not care too much)

3) Replaced 'Baritone' bakelite button w/toggle  (If I had a penny for ever time.  These are easily replaceable, and as long as they didn't gouge it up too much, no sweat.  Also, you can do the cap/choke bypass mod with a dpdt if you are in the mood.)

4) Back of the neck pretty hagged (more than a comfortable amount of nicks and gouges...a couple severe.  (Hagged is better than cracked.  If it bugs you, sand, fill, refin so that you practically can't tell.)

5) Finish is about a 7-8 (sunburst faded and usual nicks, gouges and a number of worn spots) (Hooray - it is still there!  Buff it out and enjoy!)

6) Non-stock handmade slightly weird large wooden case (I only mention this cuz I saw a 60's Gibson EB-2 case go for over $500 the other day...amazing  (Bozos are in endless supply, and thankfully so are Jack Cassady cases.  Buy one, and let bozos pay stoopid money for 60s cases - this one had an Epi case originally anyway.  The weird case is funny, and has a handle you can use on something else when you throw the rest in the goodwill pile.)

7) No pickguard.  (Get one cut, and stick an Epi E on it.)
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 10:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the input...we'll see what happens. ;-))

If anyone else has price opinions I'm curious!

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:47:25 AM »
i'd say $1200 sounds reasonable too. I am not saying it is not worth $1500 to somebody, but I wouldn't go quite that high