Author Topic: Gruber T-Bird  (Read 5784 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: Gruber T-Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:06:01 AM »
I found a pic of the modified 3 pickup T-Bird that Craig Gruber used on the first Rainbow LP.

But isn't it a 4 pickup T-Bird? There seems to be a Jazz pickup between the bridge and the bridge-T-bird humbucker.

Perhaps it's a Dawg mod?

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
Good catch!  I never noticed the extra pickup before as it is covered up by his hand on the Rainbow LP picture.  I guess that is what all the mini switches were for on the pickguard.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »
I recall seeing the bass also on some backstage pics when Elf was supporting Purple on the "Stormbringer" tour (Mark Nauseef was the other drummer/percussionist). I also recall Dio having a white EB with one or two Jazz pickups at the bridge position.

E: BTW, where did you find that pic? Is it from a website and is there more?

Hornisse

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »
I'm Facebook friends with Gruber and he posted the photo there.  He said it is the first photo ever taken of the band and that they were working on 16th Century Greensleeves when it was taken.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:38 PM »
Speaking of Gruber, here's a cool fairly recent interview I found:

http://jeffcramer.blogspot.com/2009/11/very-candid-conversation-with-craig.html

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »
I devoured that interview - great thanks, George!

Even as someone well-acquainted with Rainbow, I had no idea he played such a role in the first non-touring line up. Certainly, that debut Rainbow album has the most musical groove to it as regards rhythm section and keyboards, possibly because you yanks just play with a more relaxed feel than European musicians. In contrast, I thought Rainbow Rising a one trick pony album and detested its mix which let Bain's bass hardly be heard (at least the European mix did, there is also a better US mix out there). But then I never really liked Powell's robotic drumming either.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
I kinda liked Cozys drumming with Jeff Beck, on that album from -72, if my memory works as it should. Never heard that first Rainbow, but now I'm interested. Thanks!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »
My pleasure Uwe. I figured you'd enjoy that if you hadn't read it already. It made me want to order some Elf and Rainbow discs. I'll make sure to specify the U.S. release for Rising.

I agree with your assessment of drummers. I like a bit of swing and flourish in my drummers. Even if the music is heavy the right drummer can make it that much more interesting if he does more than just pound four on the floor. It was the drumming that caught my ears the first time I put Made In Japan on a turntable. I wasn't expecting a Jazz band but Ian Paice made them sound more like one that I would ever have expected.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
From Gruber's site http://www.infinitemetalwerkz.com/About%20IMW.html

"In 1974 Craig Gruber got his hands on a 1963 Gibson Thunderbird bass. Due to the dissatisfaction with the limited number sounds of the Thunderbird Craig began to try his hand at modifications. In 1975 Craig supercharged the 63' Thunderbird by routing out, and installing a Fender jazz pickup by the bridge. Additionally he added two hi-A pickups wired in stereo and a bass boost overdrive circuit! Craig then ran each pickup to it's own individual Marshall stack, rivaling or surpassing John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin, as well Jack Bruce's setup."

So there's jazz on that bird!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 06:24:17 AM »
Interesting, that onboard overdrive is also a concept of the basses he builds today.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:26:06 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
Some old footage featuring stageful of Elves (plus slightly taller Mark Nauseef) and the T-Bird when it wasn't modded.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
Unless you pick it up at work or from friends you can't really take a 'Mexican' language class. Most Spanish classes in the U.S. will be teaching you educated Mexican Spanish, not Castillian. Point taken though. I wouldn't want to be speaking with that lisp...  :mrgreen:

Other than accent, Mexican Spanish and Castillian Spanish are more akin to American English vs. British English than Spanish vs. Portuguese.

My Mexican friend Carla jokingly refers to the difference between spoken Mexican and Spanish as being like the difference between American and Scottish English. Is it any wonder they cant understand things?  ;D
Digresion our specialty!