Author Topic: Gruber T-Bird  (Read 5785 times)

Hornisse

Gruber T-Bird
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »
I found a pic of the modified 3 pickup T-Bird that Craig Gruber used on the first Rainbow LP.  There was a cool shot of him with it inside the gatefold but I can't find that photo.  I always used to think it was the elusive Thunderbird VI bass! 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Gruber T-Bird
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »
Right hand corner.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:17:26 AM »
What kind of pickup is it? Looks like a blade humbucker?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
Incidentally, how ale youl Chinese lessons doing, my deal Gleek? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:44:11 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:30 AM »
I like that pic - Dio looks all sheepish, knowing he's just kicked out his guitarist and knowing that the rest are due the AXE and Blackmore, he's just saying, "What are you smiling about...? You're next, son...!" ;D

tried to up the picture a bit - the original is very pixelated...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »
Incidentally, how ale youl Chinese lessons doing, my deal Gleek? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The time that chinese language would become obligatory to find a job in Greece is coming quickly I think...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
The time that chinese language would become obligatory to find a job in Greece is coming quickly I think...

Kind of like Spanish in the U.S.?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
Kind of like Spanish in the U.S.?

You mean Mexican?  Spanish and Mexican are different.  I still remembering a Tribune story about Mexican restaurants opening in Spain, where they needed Mexican waiters to translate.  Apparently, there are some menu items that have a VERY different meaning in Spanish.  

Lost in translation...
http://www.ropesend.com/ropesend_translations/lost_tl/tl1004.html
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:37:13 AM by gweimer »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

exiledarchangel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 11:03:08 AM »
Aren't mexican more like portugal than spainish?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
Aren't mexican more like portugal than spainish?

Not sure, but I do know that Brazilian is based on Portugese.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
Unless you pick it up at work or from friends you can't really take a 'Mexican' language class. Most Spanish classes in the U.S. will be teaching you educated Mexican Spanish, not Castillian. Point taken though. I wouldn't want to be speaking with that lisp...  :mrgreen:

Other than accent, Mexican Spanish and Castillian Spanish are more akin to American English vs. British English than Spanish vs. Portuguese.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 12:22:57 PM »
Unless you pick it up at work or from friends you can't really take a 'Mexican' language class. Most Spanish classes in the U.S. will be teaching you educated Mexican Spanish, not Castillian. Point taken though. I wouldn't want to be speaking with that lisp...  :mrgreen:

I discovered some years ago that this is quite a topic of disagreement among educators in the US.  Common usage in Mexico is full of slang and colloquial terms which are not found in "classic" Spanish.  Along with that, the use of "border Spanish" conveys a lower class status than that of classic Spanish.  Therefore, there is a constant disagreement about whether educational programs should be conducted in the lower-class dialect or the 'correct' version of the language.  Many educators strongly resist using border Spanish - with the result that the students from Mexico don't always understand everything said.

Another of those odd things you run into - where status interferes with application.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
 As a born in Caracas native speaker, I can tell you that Mexico and Spain are not the only two countries were things can be lost in translation, to either humorous effect or grievous offence!! ;D
Fleet Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
I found a pic of the modified 3 pickup T-Bird that Craig Gruber used on the first Rainbow LP.  There was a cool shot of him with it inside the gatefold but I can't find that photo.  I always used to think it was the elusive Thunderbird VI bass! 

I know Dio is from Cortland NY (I think) Where is Gruber from ? Way back in the day (pre '75)the House of Guitars had several modded 60's NRs in the used case, I drooled over these basses! I remember one much like Grubers.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
Back in the 80s Blackmore lived about 15 minutes from me and would pop into a club we played on occasion. I didn't realize he liked our band until we were looking for a new guitarist at one point and Richie sent over his roadie (some Brit whose name I can't recall.)  But what was especially cool was that Richie loaned him one of his Strats and a small Pignose-sized black amp to use for the audition. The amp had lots of melted purple candle wax on the top that was dripped down it. I asked the guitarist what sort of amp it was and he said Richie told him it was the amp that he used to record Machine Head with. I thought that was pretty damn cool. Somewhere I still have an old cassette tape of that audition. We used to tape everyone in our recording studio to listen back later, to decide who we wanted.