Author Topic: '76 Thunderbird transfer  (Read 5875 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: '76 Thunderbird transfer
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
It would be cool if someone with good photoshop skills could make a good clean copy of this.

Between the fact that it's a t-shirt transfer (probably has release paper over the image) and the scan resolution, it's not really a Photoshop job - you can boost the color and sharpen it a bit, but the detail just isn't there to repair - you have to recreate it. I'm endeavoring to trace it in Adobe Illustrator and make actual vector art out of it, but it'll take a little time. Having said that, the processes used back in the '70s were considerably less sharp and precise than the way we do things now, so the art will definitely have a slightly different look to it - stay tuned.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:23 PM »
Cool, thanks! :toast:

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 04:35:11 AM »
Between the fact that it's a t-shirt transfer (probably has release paper over the image) and the scan resolution, it's not really a Photoshop job - you can boost the color and sharpen it a bit, but the detail just isn't there to repair - you have to recreate it. I'm endeavoring to trace it in Adobe Illustrator and make actual vector art out of it, but it'll take a little time. Having said that, the processes used back in the '70s were considerably less sharp and precise than the way we do things now, so the art will definitely have a slightly different look to it - stay tuned.

That is a very cool image!
I was going to try it but have at it! I think you can change the vectored lines in Illustrator to slightly grainy ones, or you can export the Illustrator file into Photoshop and adjust it there.
I'm working on recreating the '60s bird now and realized it's not nearly as clean up close was when you casually look at it. When I finish the '60s I'm going to do the '76 p/g, then the '79 Bird.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
A quick knockoff with some subtle changes...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »
I like it! For quick it looks damn good!

What about dropping the Norlin era florish at the end of "Gibson" and centering "Gibson" over the bird?

To my eye the "Thunderbird" font looks a bit dated too.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
I like it! For quick it looks damn good!

What about dropping the Norlin era florish at the end of "Gibson" and centering "Gibson" over the bird?

To my eye the "Thunderbird" font looks a bit dated too.

I thought about that, but the purist part of me felt I should hold to the original layout. The font (it IS dated) is actually called "Thunderbird".

If there is mass discontent among the membership, I will yield. ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:21 PM »

Now Scott has something really nice to use with his tat, if I didn't already have a "standard" bird on one shoulder and the Nikki Sixx Iron Cross and bird on the other..........
Guess I could always get it as a tramp stamp  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
Fantastic!  That's razor sharp.

I feel the same as Lightyear about the 'wild west' font and the Norlin  logo.  No big deal, they can be edited out easily.  The bird and the bass say it all for me.

The metallic color is beautiful but will be difficult to reproduce on my printer.  I like the original color.  Easily changed in Photoshop.  

Big thumbs up and THANKS!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
Nice work!

Be sure to do one up in black hardware for Uwe.  ;D

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
Great job! That really looks nice. I do agree about centering Gibson & dropping the flourish. Maybe you could do a second one with the minor changes? Either way, you did a great job!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 04:17:17 AM »
I get the feeling asking what color the bass should be or what font to use would be a slippery slope, so here's one everybody should agree upon - except for the black hardware thing, I guess...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 04:25:48 AM »
Nice work! Yeah get rid of the Norlin thingy. I do however like the dated Tbunderbird font  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:31:48 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 04:30:28 AM »
Somebody asked for a solid color? Sorry, I couldn't resist this tribute. Anyone with Photoshop should be able to swing this to whatever they desire.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »
Somebody asked for a solid color? Sorry, I couldn't resist this tribute. Anyone with Photoshop should be able to swing this to whatever they desire.

Hahahahaha! Hey Mark, this one has your name all over it! Those look great, Lowend! Stickers on clear backing of that would be awesome!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 05:01:37 AM »
Hahahahaha! Hey Mark, this one has your name all over it! Those look great, Lowend! Stickers on clear backing of that would be awesome!
Thanks all.
I'll probably be receiving a "cease and desist" from Gibson's army of lawyers soon...