Author Topic: Question for the Old-school country buffs...  (Read 5783 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Question for the Old-school country buffs...
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
Off the top of my head, I think K D Lang aped that sound on one of her discs.  I would suspect there are others, maybe Dwight Yokam or Junior Brown somewhere along the retro line.  But a picked and muted Dano on top of a fluffier bass would do the trick.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
Off the top of my head, I think K D Lang aped that sound on one of her discs.  I would suspect there are others, maybe Dwight Yokam or Junior Brown somewhere along the retro line.  But a picked and muted Dano on top of a fluffier bass would do the trick.

I think you've nailed the sound I'm thinking about, I have that KD Lang disc somewhere.  That's it! - now if I can find any Gibsons used by the purveyors of this sound.  *Yes, I'm being OCD about this, sorry everybody  :-X

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 04:37:59 PM »
Well, it figures you know the scoop on Art's music, then and now!  I was just offering up a Gibson in another genre outside of R&R.  You just have way too much trivia/info in your memory banks!!!!  I am awed!   :o

But I can't remember where I left my car keys. :D

Seriously, the Light Crust Doughboys launched the music career of Bob Wills and (indirectly) the political career of "Pappy" O'Daniel. Hard not to know about it if you're in my generation and paid attention in Texas History class.  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 06:16:57 AM »
I should have guessed they were practically local boys for you down there in tumbleweed country.  I lived in New Mexico for a few years as a kid.  I'd love to move out west again, but I'm waiting to see where my kids end up!  My daughter might end up in Wichita,KS if she gets a promotion.  Is that a promotion?  Moving to Kansas?  Just wondering!   :D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
Tumbleweed country?  :D  Not anywhere near here.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Tumbleweed country?  :D  Not anywhere near here.

You're lucky then!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »
Maybe a bit off-topic, but are there any modern examples of tic tac bass on records? It would be nice to experiment with an EB3 and a Danelectro baritone (or so) for recordings.

Billy Jean's (Michael Jackson) signature bass run is doubled on guitar, so is the bass run on Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer. "Doubled" in a sense not that the lead guitar with its regular sound plays the bass run in synch, but doubled in a less noticeable way to make the bass run more "there". Lots of productions have that.

And there are always these countrymen of yours:

For the avoidance of doubt: As usual a German invention lurks behind all this. What you call tic tac bass is nothing else but the "Knackbass" as played by Ladi Geisler, Bert Kaempfert's longstanding guitarist/bassist of Czech origin (though he served in the German army and learned to play guitar in a Danish POW camp I think) who played an EB-1 with a Fender split coil for the bass tracks and then doubled everything on (palm-damped) guitar. And he trained for the Me 262 too!

http://www.spaceagepop.com/geisler.htm

Originally he doubled a doublebass with his guitar, then his EB-1 (he was the first guy in Germany to own one) and on late sixties recordings of Bert Kaempfert he used live a Jazz Bass for the "Knackbass" and another bassplayer playing alongside him for the "Knackbass". See here at 1.11:

And please, meine lieben amerikanischen Freunde, pronounce it "Knucbuzz", not "Nacbass" like in knight, knickers or (Mark) Knopfler.

Uwe

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:15:33 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 05:09:50 AM »
Thanks Uwe. I'll take a look ASAP.