Author Topic: Gene Simmons G2 Thunderbird  (Read 5868 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Gene Simmons G2 Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2022, 03:09:40 AM »
The G2 seems to have the bridge saddles right above the middle knob, all the other models in the pic have them about halfway between the vol and tone. The neck is pushed out by one fret. The other Birds have the deepest point of the cutaway under the 17th fret, the G2 has it under the 18th fret. So a bit more neck dive, I guess, better access and slightly treblier pickups.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 07:18:10 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2022, 07:07:54 AM »
The G2 seems to have the bridge saddles right above the middle knob, all the other models in the pic have them about halfway between the vol and tone. The neck is pushed out by one fret. The other Birds have the deepest point of the cutaway under 17th fret, the G2 has it under the 18th fret. So a bit more neck dive, I guess, better access and slightly treblier pickups.

Keen observations!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
It should have a noticeable effect. Like 70s Fender J's when the bridge pickup was moved 0.4" towards the bridge, and it became significantly thinner sounding.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »
  I doubt this bass will neck dive the body being a slab will no raise center section must be about 1 1/2" thick. I only played it sitting down but it didn't have any dive to it at all, it felt quite balanced.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2022, 01:22:31 PM »
  I doubt this bass will neck dive the body being a slab will no raise center section must be about 1 1/2" thick. I only played it sitting down but it didn't have any dive to it at all, it felt quite balanced.

Scott, what was the neck profile like?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2022, 07:52:15 AM »
  I like the neck a lot! I.5" at the nut, a fair bit of meat on the back but not as much as the 2013 or 2021 NRs. Sort of a C profile. Come to think of it it feels a lot like my first NR that I bought in '77.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
  I like the neck a lot! I.5" at the nut, a fair bit of meat on the back but not as much as the 2013 or 2021 NRs. Sort of a C profile. Come to think of it it feels a lot like my first NR that I bought in '77.

Thanks! That's encouraging. We'll see what my contact at Gibson has to say about it. Communication is slow there.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2022, 12:47:50 PM »

This also reminds me that I still can't find any solid info on how deep the trussrod is on the 2013 NR.  I really like my left-hand conversion, but I very much prefer the neck thickness of my 2013 Reverse.  I was thinking of having it shaved down to about the same as the Reverse, but the concern was hitting the trussrod cavity and ruining it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2022, 09:43:55 AM »
This also reminds me that I still can't find any solid info on how deep the trussrod is on the 2013 NR.  I really like my left-hand conversion, but I very much prefer the neck thickness of my 2013 Reverse.  I was thinking of having it shaved down to about the same as the Reverse, but the concern was hitting the trussrod cavity and ruining it.

Got a friend with a X-ray machine?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2022, 10:15:25 AM »
Got a friend with a X-ray machine?

No one I can think of offhand, but that's a very interesting suggestion.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2022, 03:55:14 AM »
Very helpful Lowend and Ilan, I see it now. Which reminds me: The TBird Studios had better upper fretboard access, doodling in A between the 17th and 19th fret was no issue, with a real TBird you can't sensibly do that beyond G (15th and 17th fret). That was always one of the good things about the Studio (soundwise it was a Victory/TBird hybrid). Likewise, the set neck Studios did not neck-dive, but were stable and heavy with their thick body (the neck-thru TBird is in contrast to his unjustified image - due to his size - as a heavy bass not heavy at all).

"Pulling out the neck" is a small, nuanced change, but one that makes sense. Could well imagine that Gene had his hand paws in that because he likes to slide notes all the way up and down, he needs high register access with his playing style.

And if you move up the neck in its extrusion from the body, moving the pups makes sense too. Gene is not a
"treble pup squeezed to the bridge"-bony-sound fan, his own Punishers don't even have a bridge pup (in contrast to the ones you could buy) because he never uses one. If you look at the G2 pup positioning in relation to the pg, you can see that they have moved the treble pup a complete and the bass pup half a pup-width forward.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 06:53:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
  Today is the official release date for Gene's Thunderbird, I can finally share my video review done for The House of Guitars.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2022, 09:09:34 AM »
  Today is the official release date for Gene's Thunderbird, I can finally share my video review done for The House of Guitars.

Super cool, Scott!  Does it sound or feel different than any of the modern Thunderbirds with TB+ pickups?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
Again, I like the looks. And I love set neck too.
Not too keen on the distorted sound though. It’s a bit too much for my taste. Can’t really judge the tone of the bass this way…
Maybe you could add a video with a less distorted sound?

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2022, 09:34:07 AM »
I love Gibson's video for it.