Author Topic: cooked maple = balderdash!!!! try cooked mahogany...  (Read 7637 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: cooked maple = balderdash!!!! try cooked mahogany...
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
the neck is toast. from the 5th fret to the nut it has lost over 1/4" of wood. the nut measures 1 3/16" now. one could probably scarf joint a new half neck on it and it would be fine.

Even if that would work fine, it would probably involve just as much work.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
the neck is toast. from the 5th fret to the nut it has lost over 1/4" of wood. the nut measures 1 3/16" now. one could probably scarf joint a new half neck on it and it would be fine.

I see.  I did the scarf joint on my 60s NR.  It was a lot of work, but mainly because it was my first restoration.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »
i just got off the phone with Chip (http://www.vintageguitarman.com/index.php) and we have decided on a route of restoration, in this case a route of rebuilding more or less. i have a laminated maho/maple through neck for a double cut Jr LP 59 model and cutting the wings off this 66 then attaching them to the neck through is the plan. i am wanting to do it in a T-Bird raised center fashion and use the 60's pup i have saving the pups you sold me Doc for the virgin 59 LP gold top body i have. i'll use the chrome Schaller M4 tuners along with the Schaller built LP (warwick type) bridge i have.

sorry Uwe, it is going to become a chromey.

as a side note, i ordered TUT3 from London Power and might have Chip build my 200S on my F Blackface cab and chassis as soon as this project is finished. i gave him 2 years to do this EBO rebuild so in the mean time i am going to be boning up on my amp knowledge and try to figure out about grafting a Bauxandal preamp onto a Dynaco Mk 3 amp. the Dynaco amp was the basis for the 200S. LondonPower and Triode Electronics seem to have about everything i will need to make this a reality. basically a new 200S that hapens to look like a Fender Blackface 50. i can dig it.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
It took me a minute to visualize this, but now I get it.  So you're only going to use the original EB-0 body, but by cutting the "wings" off and putting them on the new neck?  Right?

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:38 PM »
i think it will be more of a "channel" job. the more i look at it.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
i think it will be more of a "channel" job. the more i look at it.

Might make more sense that way.  Would it be easier to just put a new neck on the original body as a set neck and keep some of the old vibe and look?

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 07:15:10 AM »
Might make more sense that way.  Would it be easier to just put a new neck on the original body as a set neck and keep some of the old vibe and look?

looks like a new original type neck is the way to go Doc, i just made a deal to get a set of original tuners and an original bridge for a mid 60's EBO. i have to admit i am thinking of something other than original cherry stained Mahogany though a dark BR green or a pelham blue maybe a slightly off white? a natural Mahogany finish with clear would look great (thinking of Carlo's refinned early EBO). that looks super!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:48:28 AM by sniper »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.  Pelham and white always get my vote!