Author Topic: EB-3 wiring  (Read 10605 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: EB-3 wiring
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
I had done series parellel with a p-bass pup years ago, and I always liked the variety. On the Fender it just gave it an opened up honked out sound, but lower output.  So I cool with that mod, and curious on how it will sound on a mudbucker. I think it may sound better on the lead pup, as it is thinner. I am loading a Duncan SM2b in mine, but haven't wired it up yet. Just a guesstimation that it would blend more effectively.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
That's what I did with the MB in the PC...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:50 AM »
OK, here's the deal.  I have the hum bucker Sniper gave me that Curtis rewired and wound to original specs with the standard braided 2 conductor wire on it.  I think I'd like to use that since the current pup (and the bridge pup) from the EB-3 isn't giving me any readings no matter how I combine the wires with my meter.  I'm gonna call Curtis and see if he can rehab them for me.

In the meantime, I want this bass together and playable.  So, here's what I want to do since it will be months before the pups can be rehabbed.  I want to use the 2-wire mud bucker that I have and a reissue bridge pup (temporarily) with a 4-way switch and 2 vols - 2 tones.  How might that schematic look?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:14 AM »
Exactly like like the wiring diagram below:
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1295.0

It is in the second post, by ramone57.  That is the stock wiring for an eb-3, so where you have the choke in that diagram - and you want to skip that - either leave it blank (a jumper wire) or stick something else in there.  What?  It could be just another cap of another value to alter the sound, or some do-dad, or just nothing.  It would function like a regular toggle but with a 4th position. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:06:04 AM by eb2 »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
Thanks, that's one even I can follow!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
OK, what the heck is the difference between 400 and 600v caps?  Geez, this is a snake pit!  What should I buy?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
All you folks that fiddle around with these silly tone things... it's all in the fingertips and position along the strings... :P ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
OK, what the heck is the difference between 400 and 600v caps?

For inside an old EB-3, nothing.  Those voltage ratings are for what the cap will handle, but in a bass something would be both wrong and deadly if you were to put voltage through it.  Technically we do, just its teensy miili-voltage that the pup generates.  Get the cheapest. 

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Years ago I pulled a cap out of a Gibson bass and took it into a guitar shop to get another.  I loved the tone control and figured if they could get me one, I could put it into something else.  They were confused why the bass had an amplifier part in it - it was 400v rating.  Fender used low end disc caps, like you can get at radio shack, but the signal would filter the same and you would never need a high voltage cap.  So, that was probably what Gibson was using - amp parts/bulk buying.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
Years ago I pulled a cap out of a Gibson bass and took it into a guitar shop to get another.  I loved the tone control and figured if they could get me one, I could put it into something else.  They were confused why the bass had an amplifier part in it - it was 400v rating.  Fender used low end disc caps, like you can get at radio shack, but the signal would filter the same and you would never need a high voltage cap.  So, that was probably what Gibson was using - amp parts/bulk buying.

i have been told this same thing by several electronic engineers concerning the chokes in the EB series ... amp parts in a guitar. max we are talking about would be about 500 milli volts output in a mudbass.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 05:50:22 AM »
Years ago I pulled a cap out of a Gibson bass and took it into a guitar shop to get another.  I loved the tone control and figured if they could get me one, I could put it into something else.  They were confused why the bass had an amplifier part in it - it was 400v rating.  Fender used low end disc caps, like you can get at radio shack, but the signal would filter the same and you would never need a high voltage cap.  So, that was probably what Gibson was using - amp parts/bulk buying.

Interesting.  So many builders swear by Orange drops over the low end caps.  They claim they sound better that the other caps, but who knows?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:04:45 PM by drbassman »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 09:04:56 AM »
Interesting.  Some many builders swear by Orange drops over the low end caps.  They claim they sound better that the other caps, but who knows?

That's an example of where psycho-acoustics (the ability to hear what you want or expect to hear) impinges on actual acoustics.  When it comes to discussions of parts like Cap type A vs. Cap type B, there are people who will go to the mat for their preference.  When it comes to this kind of tiny part, I find it difficult to separate the parts which actually make a difference from those which only make a difference on the psycho-acoustic level, in which you hear what you want to hear.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
i rewired an old kramer with cts 250 pots, .47 orange drop cap and switchcraft jack. i noticed an immediate change for the better. could be the original electric were crap...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
That is all top drawer stuff, so I would guess that was an upgrade.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »
Exactly like like the wiring diagram below:
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1295.0

It is in the second post, by ramone57.  That is the stock wiring for an eb-3, so where you have the choke in that diagram - and you want to skip that - either leave it blank (a jumper wire) or stick something else in there.  What?  It could be just another cap of another value to alter the sound, or some do-dad, or just nothing.  It would function like a regular toggle but with a 4th position. 

OK, if I substitute a jumper for the choke, I just run a wire from the rotary switch lug #8 to the pot ground, right?  And how the heck do I figure out the numbers on the lugs on the 4-way?