Author Topic: Recommend a spray gun set up  (Read 4196 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Recommend a spray gun set up
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
So you run a short line from the compressor to the filter/reg then at least 20ft to the tank?

Yes.  I use 10' of 3/8" hose with quick connects from regulator to gun and 20 ft from compressor to regulator.  I also use another in line water filter at the gun but humidity is always high here, better safe than sorry.  I'll get a picture of that tomorrow.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:48 AM »
Yes.  I use 10' of 3/8" hose with quick connects from regulator to gun and 20 ft from compressor to regulator.  I also use another in line water filter at the gun but humidity is always high here, better safe than sorry.  I'll get a picture of that tomorrow.

I thought so!  Great!  I did order a couple recommended spraying texts to read up on things,too.  I should have started down this road a long time ago.  Oh well, never too late to learn!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 04:31:01 AM »
I thought so!  Great!  I did order a couple recommended spraying texts to read up on things,too.  I should have started down this road a long time ago.  Oh well, never too late to learn!

My philosophy is it's a lot easier to break the rules once you know them.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 07:47:58 AM »
My philosophy is it's a lot easier to break the rules once you know them.

Amen, great thought!  Now I gotta learn the rules!!!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
Here's my setup, all from HF.  Flow goes left to right.  Regulator has extra unneeded oiler (for air tools, DO NOT PUT OIL IN IT, I have a separate oiler farther down line directly connected to my Onsrud) I think the whole unit was less than $20.  In line filter and various quick connects.  One of 3 spray guns with disposable liners.  Also a detail gun with 8 oz cup.

I use the BOTTOM pro type type quick connects, both male or female.  The TOP ones leak (no matter where they're made IMO).

This is a drainable inline filter (HF item 43764), used right at the gun.  There are disposable ones available but this one should last forever.  Note the plumbing involved

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
Nice setup!

I'm tempted to comment that "all that in-line hardware makes your hose kinda stiff", but that would incite aberrant behavior here.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 01:43:44 PM »
"all that in-line hardware makes your hose kinda stiff"
Yes but in a good way.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
I'll jump in here and add that I would go for one of the very light, kink free poyurethane air hoses as the hose that you actually attach to your spray gun.  They are few dollars more but well worth it.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:56:09 AM by Lightyear »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 03:22:36 AM »
I jump in here and add that I would go one of the very light, kink free poyurethane air hoses as the hose that you actually attach to your spray gun.  They are few dollars more but well worth it. 

I agree, just make sure they are 3/8" I.D.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 04:15:53 AM »
I agree, just make sure they are 3/8" I.D.

What's the advantage to 3/8"?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »
What's the advantage to 3/8"?

Less internal friction than 1/4" hose, easier air flow allows a higher volume of air at lower PSI and puts less strain on compressor.  The connectors are nominally 1/4"

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
Yes.  And to be serious, stacking connectors and adapters creates an effect at the back end of the gun like a lever.  I like the idea of using a more flexible hose to minimize the lever effect.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
I have a good friend that retired recently, lucky bastard, and built himself his dream shop, lucky bastard, to work on his auto restorations.  Doing this kind of work he needed tons of air to run all of the tools plus paint guns.  He installed a huge compressor to keep up with all of his high volume tools and he plumbed the shop with 1" PVC pipe.  When I questioned him on the safety of the PVC he pointed out that what he used was rated at 200+ PSI and that he had it regulated at the start of the run to under 100 PSI.  His setup is pretty slick with main trunk line being about 4' off of the ground with a quick connect anywhere he thought he might need one.  He has several drain T's to drain mositure all around the circuit and he installed a large dryer at the head of the run.  The leg that runs into his paint station has yet another dryer installed as insurance.

Doc, since you are going into more or less a permanent shop you might consider running some permanent plumbing and making your life easier.  You could probably do it for less than $100 and you wouldn't constaly have air hose laying under foot. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Less internal friction than 1/4" hose, easier air flow allows a higher volume of air at lower PSI and puts less strain on compressor.  The connectors are nominally 1/4"

Makes sense.  I also like the idea of having the filters and regulators on the wall tather than on the bottom of the gun.  I'll think about the permanaent plumbing.  Since I'm not sure how I'll arrange the shop just yet, flexible tubing will have to do for now.  I'm more anxious to get something set up to do some spraying before it hits 28 degrees outside!

Say, how low can the ambient temp be and still spray successfully?  Heating my barn is probably out of the question, at least this year.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Just check the sight glass on the regulator and keep the compressor drained of water. What hp and tank size is it?  A fairly small one is serviceable as long as you are maintaining enough pressure.

I can spray down to 50 degrees with the correct thinner or no blush added to standard thinner.  Also a flow out additive is great in hot weather (85+) to eliminate orange peel