Author Topic: Recommend a spray gun set up  (Read 4198 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Recommend a spray gun set up
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Ok, I'm switching over to poly and a spray rig.  I have a nice compressor and all I need is a good gun.  Should I get an HVLP gravity feed or something else better for guitars?

Carlo, what are you using?  Do I need a vapor filter on my compressor?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Recommend a spray gun set up
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
I like siphon guns because that's what I've always used.  You need at least 20 feet between your compressor and a regulator/air filter.  The air line has to slope back to the compressor so water drains that way.  Air gets heated when compressed and concentrates water vapor which coalesces as it cools.  That's why you need the 20 foot run.

How many PSI at what volume is your compressor rated?  With an HVLP setup you need more volume than a siphon gun.  3hp minimum, 5hp (220 v) preferable.

Spraying nitro with a rattlecan vs compressor is like shooting water through a water pistol vs a firehose.  I wouldn't switch to poly just yet.

This is 2 coats Mohawk's Piano Lacquer nitro on mahogany. 2 coats heavy body sealer, no paste filler.  Minimal color sanding front and back buffed with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!  I'll have to check my compressor for the specs.  My neighbor's using it to roof his house right now!  I'll check when I get home.  I wouldn't mind having a separate dedicated unit for painting only so I can keep my current compressor for auto/household use.

If my compressor is a bit weak, what about the self contained Earlex units like this one.....

http://www.earlex.com/hv5500.php

I get your point about the Mohawk nitro.  I want to eliminate the grian filling on grainy woods and increase my coverage rate.  2 coats sounds wonderful!!!  I could live with that!

Do you have a pic of your vapor filter set up?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!  I'll have to check my compressor for the specs.  My neighbor's using it to roof his house right now!  I'll check when I get home.  I wouldn't mind having a separate dedicated unit for painting only so I can keep my current compressor for auto/household use.

If my compressor is a bit weak, what about the self contained Earlex units like this one.....

http://www.earlex.com/hv5500.php

I get your point about the Mohawk nitro.  I want to eliminate the grian filling on grainy woods and increase my coverage rate.  2 coats sounds wonderful!!!  I could live with that!

Do you have a pic of your vapor filter set up?

Don't know anything about Earlax, I prefer used industrial type equipment.  Consider buying a used compressor off CL and some of these guns.
http://www.harborfreight.com/detail-spray-gun-91011.htm

this is the kind of regulator/filter I'd recommend
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=air+regulator+spray&hl=en&cp=14&gs_id=n&xhr=t&q=air+regulator+filter&qe=YWlyIHJlZ3VsYXRvciA&qesig=y2Ab4gQLFeDXCLbuOr9SuA&pkc=AFgZ2tkUJV29gYZusCEPmeQrhXew-ON9WsBe62-sVt1xDtDA1U0Rz5dfmv5mBGzNoe1Q6LClC-fXLjaYDNn4iuXvVniEJVQLgA&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=1s1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1020&bih=481&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12189360912022138630&sa=X&ei=u1ZJTpCSNpGTtwei3KnZBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAA

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
Hey Carlo, that gun link is gone at HF.  Are detail guns smaller than regular guns?  Sorry I'm so dense about this, it's all new to me.

Also, what nozzle size are you using with the Mohawk materials?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:29:54 PM by drbassman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:32 PM »
Link to Google shopping worked for me, here's the Amazon link from that page: http://www.amazon.com/Single-Unit-Compressor-Filter-Regulator/dp/B0002JW7QO

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:32:25 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/detail-spray-gun-91011.html

Try again? it's model 91011, full size gun, 1.7 nozzle.  $24.95  Go to the HF site and put 91011 in search or just 'spray gun' to see what they have.

I have 3 of these guns, no problems with any.  The only maintenance you'll have with any good gun is keeping it clean internally and making sure there are no air leaks due to loose packings or washers.  I also have

Specs:

Operating pressure: 50 PSI (I generally spray at no more than 35 PSI at the gun with lacquer, usually less)
Average air consumption: 1.5 CFM @ 30 PSI
Nozzle size: 1.7 mm
Paint capacity: 1 quart
Air inlet: 1/4''-18 NPS
Shipping Weight: 2.65 lbs.

Other things you might need from HF:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »
That's super, thanks guys!  I'll check it out.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
Another key question comes to mind.  What's the cure time before wet sanding on the Mohawk nitro?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:10:07 AM »
I'm waiting 4 weeks on painted finishes (2 coats sealer, 1-2 white primer, 1 color, 2 clear nitro) and 2-3  on clear (2 sealer, 2 clear).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
Thanks again Carlo.  I'd like a shorter drying time, but I might still give it a go.  I picked up the sprayers and accessories at HF yesterday, so I'll work on ordering some Mohawk stuff and experiment with it.

My first few attempts will actually be some bodies (mahogany, maple) that have been stained and just do the S&S and then clear coats over the stain.  Opaque colors will come later...........

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
Thanks again Carlo.  I'd like a shorter drying time, but I might still give it a go.  I picked up the sprayers and accessories at HF yesterday, so I'll work on ordering some Mohawk stuff and experiment with it.

My first few attempts will actually be some bodies (mahogany, maple) that have been stained and just do the S&S and then clear coats over the stain.  Opaque colors will come later...........

I'm on my 25th or so body this year so 4 weeks comes around pretty quick.  On maple you should be able to push it to 2 weeks.  I don't let maple necks cure more than a week.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
Is that regulator in-line and need mounting on the wall?

Yes, they usually come with a mount.  That's not the exact one I have.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »
Yes, they usually come with a mount.  That's not the exact one I have.

So you run a short line from the compressor to the filter/reg then at least 20ft to the tank?