Author Topic: One Hour JAEZZbird  (Read 9404 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: One Hour JAEZZbird
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »
i can send you both of mine to check them out if you are interested..  both of  mine are the 2 pbass ones  not the big brass thing.    i had and used one in the around 1980 then traded for a early ibanez musician bass (my first active bass) and regretted so i had to buy 2..... :sad:

Thanks for the offer, Jim, and the clue in re the scale.  That should be just right.  I'll know when I get into this one how much they interest me,  I'm hoping the balance offsets the weight. The Ebay one looks like it might be a good project, it has the DiMarzio P and a nicer bridge IMO than the one Hornisse bought.  I can totally relate to the 'I used to have one, so now I own two.' mentality.  I'll now have two EBO Junior shaped basses, a Robelli 8 string and the Curlee in addition to the '60.

You would think that in the mid 70s-80s Gibson would have looked at Alembic and Curlee and said, "Yeah, we OWN that, let's find the sweet spot and bring one to market."

Last night I did a control plate for stack pots from some .064 aluminum.  I think it might work OK, so far it doesn't offend.  Also shot a primer coat.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
Now that does look rather... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »
picture of new (old) bass layout idea:

was it the acid?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:52:45 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 05:17:03 AM »
the one on the left has pretty much neen done with the 2 string "alien" bass.

http://www.pouringrain.co.nz/music_2string.htm
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
i think Carlo's redo of the Jazz amounts to an almost totally new bass. I never have liked just about anything Fender has done and this presentation is so free and simple in concept it astounds me. I thought of this album cover from many moons ago as it was one of my favorites at the time as it was very refreshingly "free" in concept as well as the song it was titled after.

i felt the same way about Yes and Heep at the time.

what i would like to see? i would like to see GOT try one of these out and the bass get a great review like the JAEBird has recieved. now that would impress me a lot.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:05:47 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 06:42:58 AM »
only for fender fans.... ;)
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 06:54:24 AM »
I think I could live with a fender like that. ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
i think Carlo's redo of the Jazz amounts to an almost totally new bass.

what i would like to see? i would like to see GOT try one of these out and the bass get a great review like the JAEBird has recieved. now that would impress me a lot.

Thanks, but I have to disagree, it's just another take on a classic.  Fender clones are the 350 Chevy V-8 of the music world.  However it plays and sounds will depend on the parts used and how they're assembled and 'tuned'.

I appreciate anyone's honest review, either good or bad.  I learn far more from the bad ones, but I've been very gratified by most of them, not the  least GOTs.

I think I could live with a fender like that. ;)

How about a 32" scale?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:21:50 AM by dadagoboi »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
 Fender clones are the 350 Chevy V-8 of the music world.  However it plays and sounds will depend on the parts used and how they're assembled and 'tuned'.

Truer words never written!  I'm a Fender fan, and that's as dead-on a comment as I've heard.  I'd probably substitute "Chevy small block" for "350 Chevy", but that's splitting hairs.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
Truer words never written!  I'm a Fender fan, and that's as dead-on a comment as I've heard.  I'd probably substitute "Chevy small block" for "350 Chevy", but that's splitting hairs.

I agree Chevy small block is more accurate, thanks!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »
clone, 7ender, flying purple pig with wings i don't give a damn. it is not ostentatious with pointy chrome thingy's, larger than my nieces ass pickguard, CAR paint or big ass headstock (speaking of Carlo's nice design) and i like it. maybe its just a small epiphany to me but its a new feeling that i like "clones". a mahogany 32" would be great in 7ender classic/antique cream with a Hipshot "B" bridge thingy and a single chromey Thunderbucker pup. thingy.

i might have to do some 60's shit to start liking Ricks though i looked at some yesterday.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »
Got up early and went to Walmart for paint as part of a candy color experiment.  After 20 minutes of spitting and dry finish I found out how to get a decent finish with a Rattlecan...drill out the spray nozzle and drain the propellant , leaving the paint

The can is a little thicker than a beer can, cut about 1 1/2 inches and pour out the liquid gold

This is the base coat shot with my regular gun, it's not as coppery as it looks.

I'm thinking Shoreline Gold, no luck with candy color so far.  Haven't had a gold bass since TP ended up with my '65 P.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
I agree Chevy small block is more accurate, thanks!

+1
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »
There's gold in them thar swamps...! I like it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
I'm liking that gold color a lot!  Reminds me of the Ford metallic gold color I had my '63 P painted back about 1972...but definitely a lighter gold.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."