Author Topic: NAKED JAEbird  (Read 5647 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: NAKED JAEbird
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
No doubt about it the Headstock shape is great.
Digresion our specialty!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Jim asked about recessed straplocks.  Dunlop has them but they aren't worth what they charge.  Allparts has the dual design style buttons as cheap as garden variety strap buttons.  I drilled a 1/2" diameter and deep hole

that chamfer in the hole was actually caused when I screwed down the button.

Butt end of JAEbird II PROTOTYPE, note the nice fat run.

Proto again, location will be a little different on Jim's.  I like these BETTER than the completely recessed buttons.  The chrome is subtle and provides a better target for the strap, keeps it a little off the body and might possibly take a hit from the straplock instead of the paint....did I mention they were cheap?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:29:44 AM by dadagoboi »

johnk

• View Profile
    • JohnK Custom Basses
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
i removed the top strap button on mine (filled the hole and touched it up with an airbrush), and relocated it in the 'vox' position.  it balances very well now.
i first tried it with the a stap button mounted in the upper left neck plate mounting hole, but found that with the button on the back of the bass, it helped with the balance, but made the bird lean a bit forward and away from my body, so for me, i prefer it closer to the edge of the bass's centerline.

here's a pic of where i have mine located now:

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:22 AM »

i first tried it with the a stap button mounted in the upper left neck plate mounting hole, but found that with the button on the back of the bass, it helped with the balance, but made the bird lean a bit forward and away from my body, so for me, i prefer it closer to the edge of the bass's centerline.

I have that set up on all my 'birds and you are right, they usually lean away. It's never bothered me though, since I've taken up JAE's way of putting my right arm and resting it on the top line of the body, she never leans  ;)
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
i removed the top strap button on mine (filled the hole and touched it up with an airbrush), and relocated it in the 'vox' position.  it balances very well now.

I used the strap button in that position with my clear 1" wide strap on Fenderbird 2010 when I built it in '83.  As you say, the Vox position.  A little troublesome with a wider strap but I still left it there when I resurrected it even tough it no longer neck dives with a 3/1 headstock and minis replacing Kluson Reverses

My '65 Vox, just found a bridge cover for it.  It has ZERO neck dive, it's English.  The Italian EKO made ones were terrible divers.  Drilled holes in mine and pounded lead sinkers into them, didn't work. I had to play it Wyman style.

I have that set up on all my 'birds and you are right, they usually lean away. It's never bothered me though, since I've taken up JAE's way of putting my right arm and resting it on the top line of the body, she never leans  ;)

That works for me too.  The 63-65s are so light they balance much better than the later reissues IMO.  Having one more fret into the body also helps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:29:34 PM by dadagoboi »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
Logo idea

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:14:57 AM by dadagoboi »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
you are the man.  Hopefully you will send me that beauty and not change your mind.  Keep it as long as you need to take pics,  record etc....  IMHO it  has come out perfect.  The long time tbird haters tbird :toast:

I like the red name better
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  Yeah the red works for the II, black with capital C cataldo and JAEbird Bass after it ala Fender may be the ticket for JAEbird.  Suggestion of Dave (BassVirtuoso), yours and his are neck and neck.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
Logo du Jour...I can spend forever on this stuff but it don't build no basses.  I printed a decal of this one.  Location on the headstock TBD, also "C" needs a little work

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I like it a lot! . Red on light  maybe silver / outlined with red on a dark headstock.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »
Finally ready to let this one go on Tuesday.  Thanks, Jim!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
 :toast: 

standing ovation....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
I really like the way the logo turned out - and the placement.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
That turned out nice! If I could ever stop running out of problems that need $$$$ thrown at them, I'd be in for one of those.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
That headstock really reminds me of a bird-of-prey; a sleek one, built for speed and in for the kill... :o ;) 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...