Author Topic: Triumph bass in the house !  (Read 7130 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Triumph bass in the house !
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
Unless, of course, you are hung up on the splendid two point bridge, that benchmark of US hardware ingenuity ...

Certainly would be nice for back to back comparison, to see if those nylon saddles created "magic".

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure they contribute to the "roundness" of the sound.

Now that you mention the nylon saddles: I'm looking for a set of those.
If any of you guys know a source please let me know!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »
Talking about the weight of the Les Paul basses vs the RD Artist Bass, I thought I would drag it out & weight it also. It came in at a mere 11.5 LBS! I thought for sure it was my heaviest bass. It came in a full pound less than the '70 Les Paul Bass. I would guess that maple is much more consistant in weight than mahogany, which can vary greatly. So most RDs should weight the same.......... :o :o
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
My RD's lighter than most...  ;)

That one on eBay is a true beauty...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 03:32:21 PM »
The Triumph on eBay is a beauty......... It's the only one I have ever seen using the current serial number standard. Only 27 were shipped in 1979, no record of 1980.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
Do I hear $2,000.00?   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330378984152   

Any bets on how high this bass will go?

Also, for the items missing on this EB-1 reissue, it's price is climbing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EB-1-VINTAGE-ELECTRIC-BASS_W0QQitemZ300369041704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45ef63d928

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
The Triumph doesn't surprise me.

The EB-1 Reissue seems way higher than normal even if all the parts were original.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
I paid about $450 for my first EB-1 reissue at Willie's & years later, upgraded to one exactly like this, with all of the origional parts & hang tags. Mine is super clean & cost me way less than this. The older guys thought I was nuts, paying so much for my guitars at the time I was heavy into collecting. I must be one of them older guys now!  :o  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I remember Willie's had one in the late 90s that was showroom clean for about $1300, and IIRC somebody (you?) traded in one that was in rougher condition. Or maybe I have the sequence backwards.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
That was me.............. It was on consignment, I offered her $300 plus mine, ended up getting it for $325. I don't think Nate has ever had another in his store since those two. It was & still is the cleanest one I've come across, but it seemed a lot heavier than my first one. It's in my little picture, EB-0,1,2,3 & 4.  :rimshot:
Also, the case was much nicer, a yellow lined one like the guitar on eBay. My first one had a grey case that I always thought was an aftermarket case. It had an uncovered chunk of foam holding the body of the bass in place. The case was very un-Gibson like. Now with eBay, I've seen several with the same grey case & it seems to be origional.  :o
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:55:43 PM by Grog »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 05:17:54 AM »
Do I hear $2,000.00?   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330378984152   

Any bets on how high this bass will go?

Also, for the items missing on this EB-1 reissue, it's price is climbing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-EB-1-VINTAGE-ELECTRIC-BASS_W0QQitemZ300369041704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45ef63d928
Makes me wonder what I could get for mine  :-\
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 09:50:06 AM »
That was me.............. It was on consignment, I offered her $300 plus mine, ended up getting it for $325. I don't think Nate has ever had another in his store since those two. It was & still is the cleanest one I've come across, but it seemed a lot heavier than my first one. It's in my little picture, EB-0,1,2,3 & 4.  :rimshot:

Now it makes sense. I thought I remembered Nate saying that the person who had owned the near-mint one wound up with the other one. I just didn't know the details.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
I thought Nate took it in on trade & sold it again. As I recall, it wasn't in the store long, I thought it sold quicker since it was priced lower. Maybe it didn't sell & the lady ended up with my origional bass. I bought the first one from Nate when he was in his first store, on the corner of the building he is still in.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2009, 05:50:05 PM »
I can't remember.

I do remember how much stuff was crammed into the original store. And the ever-helpful Bleem.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
I kinda forgot about Bleem. It was just Skip & Bleem as employees. I delt with Bleem most of the time. I have one of his picks somewhere. Nate started in the small corner store, moved next door to a bigger store and when Kawalski's moved out on the other side, Nate cut a hole in the wall & added that whole area also. I only stop in a couple times a year now, check online often. He never has shipped outside of the US. He figures that if he sells only in the US, you may come back someday & trade for something else. If he ships it out of the country, it's gone............