Author Topic: Martin Turner  (Read 9800 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Martin Turner
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »
Ahh Scott, the best bridge of all time, a Badass 1.
Kudos mate  :toast:
* Freuds_Cat awaits Uwe's beratement.

Uwe, a very informative and interesting apraisal of Herr Turners performance. Thankyou.

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 03:59:43 AM »
"Did you get talk with him at all ??"

He was available for a meet and greet after the concert at the merchandise stall and did show up. I thought for a moment about meeting him there, but then couldn't really think of anything meaningful to say or ask except the obvious like "You've influenced me quite a bit.", "Great show.", "Will there be a reunion?" and "Why don't you record an album with new songs?" so I left it at that.  He was very affable to the people he spoke to though.

Hey, I'm just too shy!  :-[
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 09:24:39 AM »

Hey, I'm just too shy!  :-[

So I take it you don't do litigation?  ;D I always pictured you stalking the courtroom, pouncing on unsuspecting witnesses like a Teutonic Perry Mason!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
I watched Herr Turner in a private, not a professional capacity. Professionally, I'm generally not at a loss of words, but in private? Hey, I spent 3 years at highschool not telling a girl she meant the world to me. Another 18 years to 'fess up to her what she meant to me back then and yet another ten years that she still means it to me! 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
One thing I believe in Uwe, is making things right, even if it takes years to get it done. Once you do, thing have a way of working out for the better. I hope you find continued success in that regard!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »
(with apollogies to the movie "Goodbye Mr Chips" and anyones feelings...)

"... But I have a big family, all of them Gibsons..."  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:36 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I found some pics which left me wondering. I recall reading that the "Argus" inner sleeve photo Thunderbird (sunburst) was stolen at that time (1972) and Martin got another from Overend and this bass was later painted white. The "Argus" 'bird has three knobs and a black headstock, right? This photo is supposed to be taken in 1974:

Is it the same bass? Or a possible loan from a , say, Walter Becker or that Doobie Brothers bassist since the Ash are playing the Midnight Special at that clip?:)

This is the 'bird he is still using, right?

PS. I still do not buy that he used a Ric on "Argus", unless he was so visionary that he bypassed the infamous cap (which his Ric still had when they recorded the previous album, just listen to "Vas Dis" for example...;) )

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
If anyone says "cleaning lady", I'll fuggin' freak out! And that's a fact!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »
The white bass used to be sunburst and unbroken. I always believed that Overend Watts broke it and Martin bought it broken from him (and there are interviews of Martin out there that create that impression), but it has now transpired in a very recent interview in a German bass mag that Martin broke it himself while throwing it up in the air and hitting something (the wall of amps) with it after an especially rejoiceful gig. Mind you, all this while the bass was still on loan from Overend and unpaid!

So Martin actually has the nerve to approach Overend complaining that Overend had loaned him a "not very stable bass" and offers him a symbolic price which the flabbergasted Overend (who himself had accidentally broken quite a few Birds) accepts. Martin picks up the pieces (literally) and has his luthier repair the bass with a replacement maple neck from the fifth fret onwards (he still has the original maho splinters neck and headstock atomized to and keeps them glued together at home), eventually the bass is painted white too.

Martin's Hamer Explorer with original sixties TB pups has been put out of service btw for the mere reason of its truss rod no longer working. He has sold it to some memorabilia hunting rock club.

Re his Ric 4001 he said he liked its sound very much but that its very thin neck was always a calamity and that it eventually broke in its case when transported on a tour.

I hear nothing on Argus that sounds like it could not have been played with a Ric, so I guess we have to accept Martin's word on it that he only used the Ric on it.  Later albums with the Wisefield line-up were entirely recorded with a P Bass and Martin still sounds like Martin on those. His sound is largely influenced by his pick playing and the fact that he is a horizontal player (moving up and down the neck swiftly) as opposed to a vertical one (changing from string to string often, but staying pretty much in one or two registers).

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »
The white bass used to be sunburst and unbroken. I always believed that Overend Watts broke it and Martin bought it broken from him (and there are interviews of Martin out there that create that impression), but it has now transpired in a very recent interview in a German bass mag that Martin broke it himself while throwing it up in the air and hitting something (the wall of amps) with it after an especially rejoiceful gig. Mind you, all this while the bass was still on loan from Overend and unpaid!

So Martin actually has the nerve to approach Overend complaining that Overend had loaned him a "not very stable bass" and offers him a symbolic price which the flabbergasted Overend (who himself had accidentally broken quite a few Birds) accepts. Martin picks up the pieces (literally) and has his luthier repair the bass with a replacement maple neck from the fifth fret onwards (he still has the original maho splinters neck and headstock atomized to and keeps them glued together at home), eventually the bass is painted white too.

So which one of the above it is then? The one with the white inner in the headstock and 4 knobs (the photo is from 1973 from this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtwa/sets/72157619187354946/) or the other with the all-black headstock?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 11:44:35 AM »
The headstock with the white inner is the maple replacement piece his luthier made. The extra knob came and went - today the white TB has a hole plugged where that knob was.

As regards the kimono pic, judging from his haircut that is later than 1974 and well into the Wisefield line-up. He might be playing an Orville there - I know he has one as a replacement for his white Bird -, it's hard to tell from the headstock lettering. That TBird looks new and pristine.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »

As regards the kimono pic, judging from his haircut that is later than 1974 and well into the Wisefield line-up. He might be playing an Orville there - I know he has one as a replacement for his white Bird -, it's hard to tell from the headstock lettering. That TBird looks new and pristine.

No, it's still with Ted on guitar:

The whole lot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtwa/sets/72157620765079035/

This set also has that 'bird. Did Orvilles exist then('74 - '75)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtwa/sets/72157620990579715/

jazzbo58

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Nice Pictures! I remember reading an article on the recording of There's the rub. I was surprised to find out that he used a P bass on that album. It sure had me fooled. I saw them in New Orleans back in 1975, Martin's bass sound was awesome!! I also remember that Camel opened for them.

Cheers,
Jim

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »
The Marquee Club used to hold 400 people - in 1977 someone sneaked the back doors open and an extra 300 crammed in... it was summer... it was melting down time, literally... condensation was dripping off the (low) roof... never has a pint of (diluted) lager tasted so good... brilliant gig...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 04:04:33 AM »

That's not quite what he told us when we interviewed him for Fly Guitars... he got it in 13 pieces (see Martin turner on his Thunderbirds)

Perhaps he re-broke it. Let's face it, rock stars are not known for their perfect memories!