Author Topic: Photo of the VERY LAST HAMER....Itt's A BASS !!  (Read 3915 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Photo of the VERY LAST HAMER....Itt's A BASS !!
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
So.....despite the factory having been shut down by Fender a couple weeks ago and all the Hamer and Ovation and Guild staff getting pink slips....a few of the Hamer guys still managed to get into the factory to complete the last two custom orders than had been left.

Now THAT's dedication.

Anyway, here is a pic of the very last Hamer to come out of the New Hartford, CT factory.

IMO, it is rather fitting that it turned out to be a 12-string bass...one of the things Hamer created and left its mark on the music industry with. Also rather fitting it turned out to be a custom Jeff Ament Model B12A....since that model is painted with the black textured finish they use on the Ovation bowl back acoustics....and Ovation also was closed down by Fender.

So, the last Hamer also has a bit of Ovation in its DNA.

Also ironic the last instrument turned out to be a bass, since the very first instrument to carry a Hamer logo was a Flying Vee Bass that Joel Dantzig made for himself....and Hamer SN#001 was also a bass -- the Standard Explorer with the TBird pickups and bridge made for Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash.

So, it came full circle in the end. He'll, all three of those basses are even black!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:23:38 AM by mc2NY »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of the VERY LAST HAMER....Itt's A BASS !!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »
Hope she's heading your way, Jon... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »
Nope, not mine....though I would love to have gotten the last Hamer made.

I actually already DO own an Ament B12A. I DID have TWO of them, despite their rarity (less than 10.). But Jeff got ahold of me and I sold him the other one!! Really, no joke.

Ament bought my Ament. Said it would cost more to have another made. So that would be proof to support HAMER's claim that the artists who played Hamers paid for them, as they always said.

...and why a number of their top endorsers left for lesser quality brands that paid them for their endorsements.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:18:08 AM by mc2NY »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
I like the finish on that bass. There is a local shop that has a 12'er for sale in that body style, but it's not the Ament model. They are asking $3500 for it so I think it will be there for a while.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:12:11 PM »
I like the textured finish, seems odd to see it on such an expensive bass. My MusicMan SUBs have that finish but I paid about $500 for each of them.

I like the finish on that bass. There is a local shop that has a 12'er for sale in that body style, but it's not the Ament model. They are asking $3500 for it so I think it will be there for a while.

It probably will, but keep in mind that new US Hamers were selling in that price range for the past couple of years. There are two new Hamer guitars on eBay right now for $3500 or offer.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
 I have a Blitz with a factory Kahler. Fantastic bass. I paid $400 bucks for it, near mint with case.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
I picked up a 1982 Blitz 3 months ago. Came with a letter to the original owner from Paul Hamer. Great playing bass!! Scott, if you ever decide to dump yours let me know.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:51:57 AM »
I'll keep you in mind but for now it's a keeper. Like I tell my wife I am in the acquisition phase of my life not liquidation ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
That's been my approach lately too  :mrgreen:

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
Kebo's has a Hamer Blitz Bass right now....ZEBRA STRIPPED!!

......but it AIN'T cheap!!

Since Hamer closed, everything has already jumped in price.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
Since Hamer closed, everything has already jumped in price.

I sold my '91 USA Chaparral 12L last month for 250% more than I paid 18 months ago.  Stadium logo and branded tuners were the main reason buyer was willing to pay that much.  He found me thru the thread I posted when I bought it.  Kept pestering me after I told him it wasn't for sale.  Finally I gave him a figure I thought was crazy and my Paypal address.  Sent me the $$ immediately.  It was a sweet bass and mint once I put the crappy P4s back in it.  I'm now building its replacement, wider spacing at the bridge and ThunderBucker pickups.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm not surprised at all that US Hamers have jumped in value. They have been way undervalued for years.

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
Re: Photo of the VERY LAST HAMER....It's A BASS !!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the story & pictures.
From what I read here also:
http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2014/04/23/ovation-guitar-factory-connecticut-closing/8055201/

the Ovation UBK's should become more valuable also.
If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 08:19:01 PM »
Fender just announced that it sold off GUILD !!

The head of the company that bought Guild has the same last name as the former head of Fender.... the same former head of Guitar Center, who left each company.  So, it is a relative of his..maybe his son?

Interesting.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
Fender just announced that it sold off GUILD !!

The head of the company that bought Guild has the same last name as the former head of Fender.... the same former head of Guitar Center, who left each company.  So, it is a relative of his..maybe his son?

Interesting.

That sale was announced and finalized in early May. We discussed it in your thread about Fender closing New Hartford.

AFAIK no connection between Jonathan Thomas and Larry Thomas.