Author Topic: Tom Peterson ThunderBird II  (Read 6893 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Tom Peterson ThunderBird II
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
A Seattle customer of mine (a single pickup REV) is visiting L.A. and went to see the traveling Cheap Trick exhibit.   I had told him TP used a single pup 'Bird to convince him one is all he needs.  The heading on the email: "You were right!"

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Tom Peterson ThunderBird II
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
What I have been saying forever :rolleyes: Bugged the Gibson rep last week.  I told him if they want to sell Thunderbirds  give us nickel a two piece bridge and a Thunderbird II.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:09:01 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

I just wet myself...

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
What I have been saying forever :rolleyes: Bugged the Gibson rep last week.  I told the if they want to sell Thuinderbirds  give us nickel and a Thunderbird II.

I'm spreading the gospel, my next three builds are all single pickup.  That will make four out of the last seven.

I just wet myself...

Before you change your dainties

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

Sproing!  ;D

That's my Holy Grail  - Right there.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:59:48 PM »
I've got 3 of 'em!!!! Mark...you ned to do what I did...downsize...I traded quantity for quality....my Blue Bird...I traded 2 repaired headstock T birds, one had a complete headstock replacement, the other had been busted several times (Tom P owns that one, it's all white with a white headstock), for my Blue bird. BEST trade I ever did!!!
All of mine are UNbroken...took me a while..but once you own a 1960's...nothing else is better....So...
I suggest you pony up and Get a 1963-65 Thunderbird II or...a 65-69 Thunderbird II...or even an Embassy bass...and..a HIWATT
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:55:08 AM by Baz Cooper »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
Nice. That bass was not on display when I saw the exhibit in Chicago. I'm honestly a two pickup guy myself.  ;D

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
I think the 2 pickups get that Jazz bass sound....a few weeks ago, I owned a USA '62 RI USA jazz bass...I found myself constantly turning the bridge pickup off....I guess I REALLY don't like Jazz basses..what I can say, eh??? I think they did fine with the original P bass and later the reissue which became the Tele bass, as well as the standard Precision bass we know today...One pickup is all I need....But some cats out there dig that 2 pickup sound...Hey, Look..I still dig those pre-cbs jazz basses....But not like a Thunderbird...A single pickup Thunderbird to me can sound more like a Fender Precision than a Precision bass does!!! At least mine do...or maybe it's what comes out of my fingers...I don't know...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
What must it be like to be Tom Petersson?  Pretty much every photo you see of him, different (vintage) bass.  How many endorsement deals?  And to think he walked away from cheap Trick for a while too.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
I don't know... I never wanted to be anybody else......wouldn't want to be him....Cheap Trick is irrelevant anyway....

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
i agree with you on that one. cheap trick IS irrelevant. when is the last time they put out something that didn't suck front to back? i guess the fan boys keep the legacy going. :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
 They have past the point where they have to be relevant and I mean that in a good way. No pressure to record and come up with new material. Lets face it anything they would put out now would be ignored by the youth market. All they have left is us old fans who will still come to shows and that's not a bad thing there are still plenty of us around to fill medium sized venues. All they have to do now is worry about playing to a built in audience. Sounds ok to me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »
 Same here I just turn that bridge pickup off on my Jazz bass. No use for it whatsoever.
I think the 2 pickups get that Jazz bass sound....a few weeks ago, I owned a USA '62 RI USA jazz bass...I found myself constantly turning the bridge pickup off....I guess I REALLY don't like Jazz basses..what I can say, eh??? I think they did fine with the original P bass and later the reissue which became the Tele bass, as well as the standard Precision bass we know today...One pickup is all I need....But some cats out there dig that 2 pickup sound...Hey, Look..I still dig those pre-cbs jazz basses....But not like a Thunderbird...A single pickup Thunderbird to me can sound more like a Fender Precision than a Precision bass does!!! At least mine do...or maybe it's what comes out of my fingers...I don't know...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
i agree with you on that one. cheap trick IS irrelevant. when is the last time they put out something that didn't suck front to back? i guess the fan boys keep the legacy going. :P

1997 released "Cheap Trick" was an excellent album front to back and all the albums released after that have good stuff on them too. Dunno about their live shows nowadays, have they succumbed to a "classic rock" -style setlist containing all old stuff only?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
  I have seen them twice in the past two years. Both shows were very good. They played stuff that covered their career. It was a nice mix of old and newer stuff but they didn't cram the new stuff down your throat.
1997 released "Cheap Trick" was an excellent album front to back and all the albums released after that have good stuff on them too. Dunno about their live shows nowadays, have they succumbed to a "classic rock" -style setlist containing all old stuff only?