Poll

Mirror, mirror on the wall (you have two votes) ...

Easy, Ray Dietrich rules: original Thunderbird (Reverse)
24 (27%)
Naw, I like ugly things for the heck of it: Thunderbird (Non-Reverse)
11 (12.4%)
Nothing says rock like an Explorer!
4 (4.5%)
Meee, I like EBeees/SGeees ... (as in SG style EB-0, -3, -4, -Z and SG Bass) they're the sunshine of my love!
13 (14.6%)
Fat-bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round: Grabber/Ripper/G-3
3 (3.4%)
Mainly because ze krauts kän't pronounz it pröperly: Flying "V"
0 (0%)
I like it when Gibson steals and then thinks better of it with the headstock: Victory
1 (1.1%)
If it ain't hollow, it ain't no bass: EB-2, LP Signature, EB 335 and stuff ...
6 (6.7%)
If only Paul had played the real thing: original EB/EB-1
3 (3.4%)
RDeees are my personal nirvana ...
5 (5.6%)
Hell, I'm a failed guitarist: Les Paul (Singlecut), whether hobbit or 90ies ...
9 (10.1%)
Hollow, but singlecut: EB-650/EB-750
0 (0%)
I'm a failed guitarist too, but hide it cleverly: Mon(k)ey Bass/SG Doublecut
1 (1.1%)
The solitary beauty: Doublecut LP Junior shape (as on the original EB-0), this vote is reserved for Dave W!
6 (6.7%)
Earthlings, I am a superior life form: 20/20!!!
2 (2.2%)
Because somebody has to like them: Those new EB Basses with the Babicz hardware.
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: The mother of all polls: Nicest Gibson design used for bass, visually speaking??  (Read 10641 times)

eb2

• View Profile
I like that 400 bass a lot. 

The Vagina hasn't grown on me yet.  That was too easy.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

veebass

• View Profile

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
 :-\
Is the Embassy a Gibson design?
 ???

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
In most cases I dislike basses based on a guitar design, like the Squier Telecaster Bass or some LP basses. Or the other way around, like the Rick 480, which isn't a good looker either. There are some exceptions: The Billy Bo looks much better as a bass and so does the Thunderbird. And I do like the SG and LP jr. style basses. Although the Billy Bo Bass came 50 years after the designing of the guitar and the Firebird and Thunderbird were designed at the same time. One of the prettiest basses ever!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
I voted LP (single cut) and Explorer. I REALLY love the Gibson shapes. They really got it right on so many models. Reverse T-Bird, '59 EB-0, later EB-0/3/SG, RD...

Ever since I saw John Waite playing his Zemaitis with the Babys on the Midnight Special (stop laughing!) I've wanted a Les Paul style bass. Just so sexy and rock n roll. And then Entwistle with the ExplorerBird and Alembics... I've got 4 Gibson-shaped basses now - LP, Epi Explorer, FenderBird, and Hamer B12S.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Silly Purple Clown Bass, SPCB, let's get those references right, please, this forum is committed to scientific accuracy, Dave! I left it out because there is no point in naming a bass everybody else on earth refuses to own/be seen with!

As 80ies designs go, I liked it!!! Steel Panther would pay me a king's ransom for it.

Yes, I know it's the SPCB, but (1) as you have pointed out before, it's really royal blue and (2) you have a 5-string red version.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:03:48 AM by uwe »

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Thunderbird and 20/20 here.  I have a slow 20/20 burn on.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

westen44

• View Profile
I dig the Reverse T Bird and the EB-1....then the NR Bird.....and the explorer bass.....but they NEVER made a Futura...then I like the original 1959 Ebo basses too....

The same top three choices as mine except I'd switch second and third.  Great taste, BTW. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
EB-1 and EB-3. One looks like a nice double bass with French corners and the other one has devil horns and those are bad ass. I love my Money bass but I have to admit the body is a bit on the small side in proportion to the long neck. The single cut LP shape is nice but I had to pick my two all time favorites. The rev T-bird is okay. I just think the styling is a little tacky like fins on a car or pointy sunglasses.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
EB0 doublecut fo sho. 

After that it's a bit of a toss up for me.  TB Rev is iconic, but I dunno.  RD is an update of that, so probably out.  I like the TB NRs more maybe.... probably some hollowbody would be #2.  I love me some hobbits but it's not my favorite design ( .  SG shape is also not in the running.  Surprise contender: Victory - really well done and ergonomic/Fender but better.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

John Schoen

• View Profile
I love the look of the Explorer and the shape is surprisingly ergonomic so that design gets my vote.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Curiously enough, post being first to vote, I find myself in allegiance with the Queen of Washington State... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
I was going to vote for the new V bass but couldn't find it on the list.

And I do like the EB bass (although it is more discontinued than new) it is not for the visually weird design

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
For sheer beauty I chose the Thunderbird and then the Nonreverse Thunderbird because there's something beautifully functional about those. Funny though, I play the reverse Thunderbirds I have very seldom.

Then you get into how colors affect the bass. I think an all black RD is amazingly beautiful, just as I think an all black Victory is gorgeous. I think natural finish Bass IVs are beautiful but the painted ones are hideous. Go figure, and I have not Italian in me...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:07:48 AM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I'll take a short scale SG-body like the EB-0.

Simple, light, well proportioned.  You see it and you KNOW it's a Gibson (unless it's a spinoff Epi.)

It's probably not as outright pretty as Justin Hayward's 1963 cherry red 335 guitar, http://justinhaywardguitar.com/ but it says Gibson.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:49:19 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."