Author Topic: My Epi Vintage Pro  (Read 4819 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: My Epi Vintage Pro
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2020, 10:53:32 PM »
I think my wife and I had been dating for half a year when I asked her to marry me. Been together 20 years now :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »
Floor and I have been together for 24 years, but we're still not married   ;D
(I do call her my wife, cause girlfriend sounds a bit odd for a guy my age  :mrgreen:)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 04:32:41 AM »
Congratulations, and nice bass!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 05:41:38 AM »
Floor and I have been together for 24 years, but we're still not married   ;D
(I do call her my wife, cause girlfriend sounds a bit odd for a guy my age  :mrgreen:)

Liebe Amerikaner, think nothing of it, Rob is not alone, THAT IS THE PREVAILING CONCEPT of marriage of our dear neighbours to the northwest. In fact, I have never met a Dutch couple that is not "married" like that. Well, the Royals might be.

Another Dutch idiosyncracy is that they don't have curtains. Trust me, I have (not) seen (any).   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:10:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 06:06:20 AM »
But Rob has a point, the English language (and many others too, German among them) is/are in dire need of a term for a non-married wife or husband. Like Rob, I think "girlfriend" sounds of schoolyard, "fiancee" is intrinsically a transitional term with a best-used-before-date, "significant other" is heartlessly stilted census form speak, "mistress" intentionally denigrating and "(life) partner" anodyne. Linguists would no doubt point to the fact that the lack of a good term is no coincidence: "Thou shall not (be able to properly) name, what shall not be."  Yet times change (luckily so), language should catch up.

As a European I also squirm when I read about people past, say, age of 25, "dating" each other, that sounds to me of schoolyard too or of men in their 40ies/50ies in sports cars chasing women. I understand that it is ingrained in American culture, yet in German we don't even have a term for it! We use the English one since the last 30 years or so.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
I use "significant other" for my oldest daughter's partner.

But in a gender-free sense, as used above, "partner" is probably as economical and accurate as anything.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 08:20:29 AM »
But Rob has a point, the English language (and many others too, German among them) is/are in dire need of a term for a non-married wife or husband. Like Rob, I think "girlfriend" sounds of schoolyard, "fiancee" is intrinsically a transitional term with a best-used-before-date, "significant other" is heartlessly stilted census form speak, "mistress" intentionally denigrating and "(life) partner" anodyne. Linguists would no doubt point to the fact that the lack of a good term is no coincidence: "Thou shall not (be able to properly) name, what shall not be."  Yet times change (luckily so), language should catch up.

As a European I also squirm when I read about people past, say, age of 25, "dating" each other, that sounds to me of schoolyard too or of men in their 40ies/50ies in sports cars chasing women. I understand that it is ingrained in American culture, yet in German we don't even have a term for it! We use the English one since the last 30 years or so.

Well, we did "date" for awhile before we got more serious -  and we make it a point to go out on "dates" even in these strange times. I'm leaning towards just calling Frank (my guy) "my husband" it seems the most fitting, except for those occasions when we're both dressed, then we can be wives to each other... :-*

I really try not to get too caught up in all this though as it's relative importance to either of us on a day-to-day basis is pretty low.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 08:28:08 AM »

We do have a term for it, although pretty much just as dry and heartless.  Domestic Partner.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »
We do have a term for it, although pretty much just as dry and heartless.  Domestic Partner.

Yikes! That's like a dry hump, no thanks!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2020, 07:23:43 PM »
If you're talking about partners of the opposite sex, the US Census Bureau in the late 70s coined the term Persons of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, to be used in the 1980 census. The acronym was POSSLQ and it was to be pronounced "posselcue." No, really. And they did use it for the 1980 census.

Charles Osgood (retired journalist/TV newsman) wrote a poem about it.

There's nothing that I wouldn't do
If you would be my POSSLQ.
You live with me, and I with you,
And you will be my POSSLQ.
I'll be your friend and so much more;
That's what a POSSLQ is for.

And everything we will confess;
Yes, even to the IRS
Someday, on what we both may earn,
Perhaps we'll file a joint return.
You'll share my pad, my taxes joint.
You'll share my life - up to a point!

And that you'll be so glad to do,
Because you'll be my POSSLQ.
Come live with me and be my love
And share the pain and pleasure of
The blessed continuity,
Official POSSLQuity.

And I will whisper in your ear.
That word you love so much to hear.
And love will stay forever new,
If you will be my POSSLQ.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »
If you're talking about partners of the opposite sex, the US Census Bureau in the late 70s coined the term Persons of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, to be used in the 1980 census. The acronym was POSSLQ and it was to be pronounced "posselcue." No, really. And they did use it for the 1980 census.

Charles Osgood (retired journalist/TV newsman) wrote a poem about it.

There's nothing that I wouldn't do
If you would be my POSSLQ.
You live with me, and I with you,
And you will be my POSSLQ.
I'll be your friend and so much more;
That's what a POSSLQ is for.

And everything we will confess;
Yes, even to the IRS
Someday, on what we both may earn,
Perhaps we'll file a joint return.
You'll share my pad, my taxes joint.
You'll share my life - up to a point!

And that you'll be so glad to do,
Because you'll be my POSSLQ.
Come live with me and be my love
And share the pain and pleasure of
The blessed continuity,
Official POSSLQuity.

And I will whisper in your ear.
That word you love so much to hear.
And love will stay forever new,
If you will be my POSSLQ.

That's really fantastic.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »
Beauty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »
 :mrgreen:

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »
Heh , who knew ?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »

Yikes! That's like a dry hump, no thanks!

;D ;D ;D