Author Topic: EVH nearly killed by Master Cleanse diet?  (Read 12991 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
EVH nearly killed by Master Cleanse diet?
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
Eddie Van Halen undergoes emergency surgery after fad diet nearly kills him

While the cleansing diet part originated with the National Enquirer, it may well be true. The Van Halen Facebook page says "Eddie Van Halen underwent an emergency surgery for a severe bout of Diverticulitis. No further surgeries are needed and a full recovery is expected within 4 - 6 months."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: EVH nearly killed by Master Cleanse diet?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
For Chrisssakes act and look your age and eat right!

It would have been a loss. I'm still waiting for little Eddie to do his Jeff Beck Wired/Blow by Blow, Al di Meola/Elegant Gypsy or John McLaughlin/Carlos Santana/Love Devotion and Surrender bit, that elder statesman of rock piece that sets a mark as a guitar album. Time is getting short for that, maybe he doesn't have it in him after all? He's such a gifted guitarist, but he has been floundering as an artist for a long time now. If the Eruption solo, Flying Dutchman tapping in general and the novelty synth riff of Jump were all he was remembered by, that would be kind of sad.

The last VH album was good fun, but musical progression it ain't. He should get out with some players that really demand something off him. I would have liked to have heard him with Miles Davis.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:07:00 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
I was diagnosed with diverticulitis a few years ago, but I've never had any complications.  My mother also had it.  It's unclear what really causes it, but here's what the Mayo Clinic has as risk factors.  I see one that would probably be an obvious factor for EVH.

Aging. You're more likely to get diverticulitis if you're over 40, although it's not known why. It may be that age-related changes, such as a decrease in strength and elasticity of your bowel wall, could contribute to diverticulitis.

Too little fiber. Diverticulitis is rare in countries where people eat a high-fiber diet that helps keep stools soft. But it's common in industrialized nations, such as the United States, where the average diet is high in refined carbohydrates and low in fiber. In fact, diverticular disease emerged after the introduction of steel-rolling mills, which greatly reduced the fiber content of flour and other grains.

Lack of exercise. Lack of exercise has been associated with a greater risk of formation of diverticula, putting a person at risk of diverticulitis. The reasons for this aren't understood.

Obesity. Being seriously overweight increases your odds of developing diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding.

Smoking. People who smoke cigarettes are more likely to experience diverticulitis
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
It would have been a loss. I'm still waiting for little Eddie to do his Jeff Beck Wired/Blow by Blow, Al di Meola/Elegant Gypsy or John McLaughlin/Carlos Santana/Love Devotion and Surrender bit, that elder statesman of rock piece that sets a mark as a guitar album. Time is getting short for that, maybe he doesn't have it in him after all? He's such a gifted guitarist, but he has been floundering as an artist for a long time now. If the Eruption solo, Flying Dutchman tapping in general and the novelty synth riff of Jump were all he was remembered by, that would be kind of sad.

VH 1 is right up there with the names that you mentioned as far as I'm concerned. The tapping was mind boggling and it certainly drew a lot of attention to him. But Eddie van Halen is more than a tap-master. His rhythm guitar parts are nothing short of genius.

He has influenced a whole generation of guitarists growing up in the late seventies up till the early nineties.

I would have liked to have heard him with Miles Davis.

I thank the Lord that didn't happen. That would have been an album full of awfully boring navel staring Jazz shredding that nobody understands.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
There's always The Starfleet Project.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:18:48 PM »
... If the Eruption solo, Flying Dutchman tapping in general and the novelty synth riff of Jump were all he was remembered by, that would be kind of sad...

To paraphrase Napoleon Wilson, he has moments...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
Calling Miles Davis a shredder is a bit like saying BB King overplays. And Miles was never navel gazing either. His trumpet playing was never short of beautiful.

EvH's merits cannot be denied - and he has great rhythm skills I can attest to having seen him in concert -, but if he had died in a car crash after the first VH album his contribution to the guitar would be much the same it is today. I miss progression. The last time he tried something new was when he dug out the DX-7 for the 1984 album (this only after a spell of very patchy albums).

Jeff Beck still made milestone albums after the Jeff Beck Group or after Truth. Santana at least tried something different after Abraxas. Clapton left a supergroup for the then uncommercial move of a bluesy singer/songwriter career after he heard The Band. Eddie either does nothing or rejuvenates VH glories. He's a bit like Malmsteen in that way who never progressed beyond the 19 year old guitar whiz kid either. Eddie is possibly less conceited though.

I prefer a man with ten years of a solid psychoanalysis behind him like Clapton to someone in his late fifties trying out novelty diets. Waste your money on something lasting at that age. Psychoanalysis at least makes you a relaxed interview partner.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

Stressedddd out... Meeeee?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
He should have tried the colon cleanse diet instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B52L95xRYFs&feature=watch_response

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 02:45:49 AM »

It all comes together at 2:29.  ...and you're welcome.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:20:08 AM »

LMFAO!

Thank you!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
Na... the F-Plan diet... the original and the best... accept no substitute... ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:35 PM »
He should have used Colon Blow! I cant post directly because it only displays a blank screen instead of the link, but if you're in Hulu territory, try www(dot)hulu(dot)com/watch/10304

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »

"I know just to do............

I'll use a cork and superglue................

To cure diareaha"............... ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
He should have used Colon Blow! I cant post directly because it only displays a blank screen instead of the link, but if you're in Hulu territory, try www(dot)hulu(dot)com/watch/10304

After exerting an unusual level of personal discipline, I have decided not to visit this link. 

Harrumph, harrumph.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."