Author Topic: John Bonham  (Read 11675 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: John Bonham
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
JPJ was a big influence on me when I started playing.  When I was around 12 I got to take lessons from a guy who was a staunch jazz traditionalist.  I was working through my Mel Bay lessons, etc.. but I've always been lazy and preferred to just figure things out by listening.  Well I happened to get a copy of Zep II, and when I went in the next week and was playing a walking bass line my teacher was all happy.  Then I told him it because I was listening to the Lemon Song  ;D.

I vividly remember the facepalm he did!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »
Hard Rock ruled the airwaves internationally from 1969-74 and then again from 83-89. It comes and goes in waves, adapts and incorporates other styles. And is incorporated: A lot of New Country has AOR hard rock arrangements.

Forget arrangement; a LOT of what was formerly "new country" is every bit as rockin' as it was in the rockabilly 50's. It's shocking to me how diverse and musically deep the modern country genre has become, while 'hard rock' is stale, programmed, Pro-Tools 'music' dominated by semi-literate reality television rejects. It really is true; the rock bands left Seattle and moved to Nashville. there's some amazing stuff going on there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:44:09 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
I always liked Bonham, at least for the sound of his kit - which is as much Jimmy Page's work as his.  And I always liked Led Zep, as they are one of those bands that veered off track every so often enough that you can be in the mood for one lp and not the others.  I think the first lp is a great record, but it is really the great lost Yardbirds album.  And Physical Graffitti is a great time and place thing. I first heard it on an 8 track that my friend stole from his brother. It sounded like drugs to me.  I think Bonham did better work in the studio vs live, although there is plenty of live stuff early on that is solid and not plodding.

I prefer Ringo, Charlie Watts, Mitch Mitchel and Stewart Copeland for rock drummers.

Loved the Sex Pistols.  The Ramones were a one trick pony, although the End of The Century was fun.  Michael Moore is a bazo.  Country is basically 70s shit rock now.

It is always fascinating to think of what bands are or were more happening in one place or another.  Deep Purple were huge, but Uriah Heep were just something you read about in Circus while you hung out at 7-11.  There were loads of bands that never got airplay in some parts of the country.  I only read about bands like Black Oak, Mahogany Rush, Angel, New England - they never got on the radio but they weren't underground say the way King Crimson ended up.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2010, 05:19:45 AM »
i don't think king crimson was 'underground' in the united states, it's just that many people did not like them. that first lp was  very popular, in some cases for nothing more than the cover art.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 06:46:19 AM »
The first lp was very popular.  In terms of classic progressive rock it was as big as anything Yes or Rush ever did, or even Led Zep at the time, and got as much and maybe more airplay in the old days of FM rock.  But everything after the Wake Of Poseidon was college circuit stuff.  Very, extremely underground with zero rock-format airplay.  In terms of press and radio they were on par with stuff like Joan Armatrading and The Clash - for college radio only.  The first lp is still considered classic rock, even though now it gets almost no airplay on those types of formatted radio stations.

To get back to LZ, I find John Paul Jones' playing to fantastic on the first few lps, especially the tone on Dazed and Confused which is how a bass should sound.  After around Presence, when he goes overboard on the Alembic with roundwounds, he sounds horrid.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:52:08 AM by eb2 »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »
I remembered this thread when a friend of mine linked this on facebook.
Bonham haters, eat this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GYov0EdyQ&feature=share
 :P
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
I remembered this thread when a friend of mine linked this on facebook.
Bonham haters, eat this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GYov0EdyQ&feature=share
 :P

Niiiiice! It cut out just before The BIG Fill tho. Alas

I hit that BIG fill just PURRRfectly once that he does off the snare roll on the studio version of Fool in the Rain & my guitarplayer Steve's jaw hit the ground.
Then when we finished it he screamed, "All RIIIIIIIIIGHT!" & complimented me on that fill.
I just huffed on me nails an' shined 'em on me lapel. ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 04:31:38 PM »
But could he have played this:

IMHO: Never.  :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

And I defy Herr Bonham to swing sthrough something with weird time signatures like Paice does on this track (at the end of the interview) with Wakeman. That to me is great drumming. Elegant, nimble, musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1l-WB-DFo&feature=related

Herr Bonham might be to drums what Keith Richard was/is to rhythm guitar, but don't make him Jimi Hendrix.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:55:38 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hornisse

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »
It's only because Ian Paice was a lefty!   ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2010, 04:16:54 AM »
Yes, but not with his drum set set up in real lefty mode, but as a mirror image of himself because he didn't know any better ("in the mirror I didn't look any different from all the righthand drummers I saw"). He actually regrets not learning right hand for a while because the independence of his stronger left hand would have been marvellous. He actually recommends lefty drummers to learn righty for a while for just that reason.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
Here's one of the reasons Bonzo Rools:

Now here's why Plant wanted Michael Lee on drums when Zep got inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame:

Jason played the RnR HoF tho. Michael Lee RIP
 Charlie Jones is so cool with his see thru bass. What brand is that?

Zep rehearsals:

This is my Current Fav Zep Song! Best Bassplayer Ever & Best Drummer Ever working together SO amazingly!!