Author Topic: Another (alleged!) move  (Read 12777 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Another (alleged!) move
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »
I don't mean to upstage Chris P.'s move announcement but I have one of my own. Some of you already know, this is just making it public.

I'm back in Minnesota to stay. No problems with the last seven years in Texas, it's just that after spending most of my adult life in Minnesota, this is home to me and it's where I want to be. Found a nice house in the suburban Minneapolis area not too far from where I lived for many years. Still unpacking and getting settled in. I'm retired now so I can take my time.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:30:54 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Another move
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »

Ja Sure!

Winter is Winter in Minnesota.....
Enjoy your retirement Dave  :toast:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
Good luck to you Dave  :)
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
Congrats, Dave.  Texas is its own place - a different culture from the rest of the US.  I survived 13 years at Texas A&M but that's about all I can call it.  When I earned my PhD I was happy to move north...probably because I'm a Washington guy. 

Central Texas winters are wonderful...can't say the same about summers.  From what I've heard, winters in Minnehaha are made for staying indoors and watching football!  (I was born in Iowa and don't recall those winters fondly.)

Hope this move is to a great place where you feel "in place" and happy.   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »
NOOOOooOOOOoooooooOooooooooOoooo!!! :o :o SAY IT AIN'T SO DAVE!  Leave TEXAS!  HERESY!!

You been talking to that Pilgrim fella' haven't you! ;D

Oh well good luck with your move!  I will say that the corn fed farmer's daughters up in that part of the world are something else ;)

EDIT While I was typing Pilgrim beat me to the punch! Just goes to show you....

I made several trip to Minnesota - every damn one of them in winter!  I swear I expected to see polar bears..... just saying it was bit cool up there ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:32:00 PM by Lightyear »

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:29:11 PM »
Congratulations, it's important to live where your heart is content. We are leaving Austin next year. Going back to NYC and can't wait!! Been a long time and it's become clear to both of us that we are not "western" people. Or southern or whatever Texas is. Must say Austin is a great town, if you're young and want to retire ;D
Fleet Guitars

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Congratulations, it's important to live where your heart is content. We are leaving Austin next year. Going back to NYC and can't wait!! Been a long time and it's become clear to both of us that we are not "western" people. Or southern or whatever Texas is. Must say Austin is a great town, if you're young and want to retire ;D

Austin just breaks my heart now - just like "anycity" USA now - an Outback Steakhouse on every other corner and Chillis on the rest :sad:  Good luck with your move!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:41:53 PM »
Hey Lightyear - I like visiting Texas, and of course I'll drop in on the hill country or Riverwalk any time.

But my fellow Aggies convinced me that there are only two routes to long-term success at A&M:

1) Be born in Texas, or;
2) Have served in the military.

If you have both checked off, it's is better at A&M.  I had neither.

Have a Shiner Bock for me, willya?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
The very best billboard I think I ever saw - a nice, icy, Shiner longneck laying on it's side with following text:  " Shiner ......... Our beer runs through thousands of quality Czechs every day!"

I tried to get my daughter to get her undergrad degree at A&M because in Texas a degree from A&M most usually equals employment as the aggies hire their own.  She thought it would be too conservative - mind you this kid tends to be politically right of Atilla the Hun!  It pains me to think that her masters will probably be from Texas :sad:

You have to do what's right for you and I'm sure you're right about the hidden requirements at A&M as well - the ol' boy network runs deep ;)   There are about 12 weeks every summer that I wish I was in the mountains.   

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
NYC is many things. One thing it will NEVER be is 'anycity USA'!!
And really. Dude. Shiner? ;D
Fleet Guitars

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Shiner's not bad now!  When I was a kid, and would drink most anything, Shiner was about like Falstaff or Jax - they have improved greatly!

That was my point - Austin used to be a very unique, very cool, little city - now, IMO, it's a lot like any other place - strip centers, chain restaurants, major traffic congestion, yuppie vermin etc, etc...

I was on the road non stop for about five and it got to the point that a lot of the places ran together - airport>rental car>put out fire>eat (chain joint of your choosing)>hotel>repeat>repeat>repeat.  I had always traveled at a lighter level but by the time I got off of the road what really got to me was how much cities and regions had started to give up some of their unique identities to meld into a bland surburban stew.

I love NYC - but I couldn't live there to save my life - that and I would eat myself to death in month with all the damn hot dog carts and food vendors on the street! ;D

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
Old days in NYC I used to drink something called Old English 800 :P. I think that means I literally DID drink anything!
Hope ta hail my tastes have improved somewhat...
Fleet Guitars

Hornisse

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »
Sorry to see ya go Dave.  I was hoping we could hang out at Bass Emporium one day when you were in Austin.  You are right about Austin.  I'll have been here 29 years this November and there are a bunch of places I miss.  Club Foot, City Coliseum, Palmer Auditorium, Cannibal Club, Beans, Workhorse Guitars, One World Music, Treasure Tracks Records, Steamboat, Westgate Mall, The Backroom, Aquafest, and the list goes on and on.......

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes, guys.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl