Author Topic: The Coverdale controversy continues...  (Read 12838 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: The Coverdale controversy continues...
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
Uwe... I remember seeing IG's Gold Disc for "Jesus Christ  - Superstar" (took me totally by surprise!) on the wall at Kingsway Recorders, back in the day... funny to think of Lloyd-Webber trying to persuade him to sing the lead in the stage show...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2009, 06:58:26 AM »
For those who haven't seen the young bearded Coverdale sing Behind The Smile:
Excellent, eh?

Yeah, except for the pointless dancing sequences.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
Uwe... I remember seeing IG's Gold Disc for "Jesus Christ  - Superstar" (took me totally by surprise!) on the wall at Kingsway Recorders, back in the day... funny to think of Lloyd-Webber trying to persuade him to sing the lead in the stage show...

And they wound up with Jeff Fenholt on Broadway - great vocalist, but apparently a bit of a basket case. Never cared much for Ted Neely in the movie version. There was a version of JCC done a few years back with Steve Balsamo in the role of Jesus Christ - probably the best rendition aside from Gillan. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 06:28:36 PM »
Back around 1990 I went to a benefit show at The Stone Pony - it was supposed to be Paul Stanley along with a NY cult band called The Good Rats and Saraya. It wound up being the whole of Kiss, along with JLTurner, a couple of guys from The Rascals, and TM Stevens' band. Between Gene and the rest, there was alot of "rock helmets" on stage that evening. I dubbed the show Night of 1000 Rugs"

Rock helmets! haha!

I think Coverdale's singing the lower parts and Axle Rose is screaming the higher parts. ;D
I didn't really watch the whole thing but I don't see any evidence of tapes, echo and tape delay, he's going to kill his voice though if it hasn't been already.

That guitar player in the first video is great if you like that sort of thing.