Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Sad news about TM Stevens

<< < (3/3)

westen44:

--- Quote from: Dave W on September 20, 2017, 11:58:01 AM ---There is such a thing as alcoholic dementia and there are other alcohol related brain disorders. I've seen a few affected persons, including a relative. It's not Alzheimer's, but the symptoms can be the same. After all, alcohol is a neurotoxin.

Whether TM's current condition has anything to do with alcohol, it's a pity that he let drinking interfere with his music to that extent. He certainly isn't the first.

--- End quote ---

The relative has just straightforward dementia which I suspect may have been related to some other problems, but alcohol or drugs were not involved. 

I have a friend who works as a therapist and she has mentioned treating Karsokoff's Syndrome patients, but I've never been around anyone with that. 

ilan:
That's harsh news. The worst moments for a dementia patient are when he's aware of his condition. And they are from time to time.

gearHed289:

--- Quote from: uwe on September 20, 2017, 10:20:52 AM ---What a kick-ass band that was. Should have continued, it really was thinking man's metal (bit like Alcatrazz and Judas Priest having illicit sex with one another and that can't be a bad thing) and we all know how prolific the Vai-discovered singer (Devin Townsend, yes him!) became.
--- End quote ---

I saw that tour, but sadly neither Stevens or Bozzio were on it (it was Scott Thunes from Zappa, and Abe Laborial Jr.). Regardless, the show was surreal. Townsend blew my mind.

uwe:
Townsend is wacky, but extremely gifted. Vai succumbed to public pressure because the world wasn't yet ready for someone like Townsend - they could have created a handful of creative albums that would have stood the test of time.

Unlike Vai-era Whitesnake!  :rolleyes: That album is living proof that even stadium rock needs to be played with a heart to be convincing.

Basvarken:
Imagine the frustration of Adrian Vandenberg, when he had to watch Vai butcher his songs on the entire album...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version