Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Thunderbird II project pickup placement

<< < (3/12) > >>

999:
Sorry about the "laughably disastrous result" on yours! Yes, true that a TB II isn't simply the same beast as a regular T-bird with a deleted bridge pickup. Not really sure why the other pickup being wired in makes as much of a difference as it seems to.

I think I'm going to go with the proven measurement of 3 1/4" from the base of the neck to the front edge of the pickup as on vates' thread.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: 999 on April 26, 2016, 10:53:43 AM ---Sorry about the "laughably disastrous result" on yours! Yes, true that a TB II isn't simply the same beast as a regular T-bird with a deleted bridge pickup. Not really sure why the other pickup being wired in makes as much of a difference as it seems to.

I think I'm going to go with the proven measurement of 3 1/4" from the base of the neck to the front edge of the pickup as on vates' thread.

--- End quote ---

Any two-pickup instrument will have some phase cancellation of upper harmonics whose wavelengths are shorter than the distance between the pickups. How much of the difference you'll be able to hear will depend on the frequency curve of the pickups as well as the distance.

999:
Makes complete sense with both pickups on. Seems odd (to me, at least) that there would be any influence with the volume of the bridge pup on a IV rolled off. One would think it would be effectively the same as a TB II... Though I may just be remembering the difference as being greater than it is or there are other variables as well.

Aussie Mark:

--- Quote from: TBird1958 on April 23, 2016, 10:57:34 AM ---
 Happy to lay a tape across my Greco TB II for you David!  :)

--- End quote ---

+1

That's exactly where I'd put the pickup, given how perfect the single pup Grecos sound.

999:

--- Quote from: Aussie Mark on April 26, 2016, 04:02:08 PM ---+1

That's exactly where I'd put the pickup, given how perfect the single pup Grecos sound.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. Now you've both got me curious, is the placement different than on the 60s birds? Could I get the measurement from the center of the 12th fret (wire) to the neck side edge of the pickup?

Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version