Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Thunderbird II project pickup placement

(1/12) > >>

999:
I'm setting up a project bass using a single Tbird pup. A different body design and with a set neck - not a straight reproduction. My first inclination is to place the pickup in the usual 'neck' position as I know how that sounds and what to expect. However, I'm considering moving it back some - not as far back as the normal bridge position or a musicman but maybe splitting the distance. Of course, these pups have a pretty wide aperture so I imagine this can be less precise than with a single coil. Any thoughts on optimum pup placement?

dadagoboi:

--- Quote from: 999 on April 23, 2016, 03:47:23 AM ---I'm setting up a project bass using a single Tbird pup. A different body design and with a set neck - not a straight reproduction. My first inclination is to place the pickup in the usual 'neck' position as I know how that sounds and what to expect. However, I'm considering moving it back some - not as far back as the normal bridge position or a musicman but maybe splitting the distance. Of course, these pups have a pretty wide aperture so I imagine this can be less precise than with a single coil. Any thoughts on optimum pup placement?

--- End quote ---

'Optimum'...does that mean what the pickup designer intended? You already know that.

What are your criteria as to tone? And what do you mean by a 'single' TBird pup? Bridge, neck, reverse, non reverse, 'modern', etc.

Here's the simple rule for any pickup: closer to the neck more bass, closer to the bridge more treble.

you might build yourself something like this test rig and find out what works for YOU...before you route a pup placement in a set neck body that turns out to be wrong.

drbassman:
I also will measure the pickup placement on a favorite bass with similar characteristics and use that figure.  Not as realistic as Carlos mock up model, but it's worked well over the years.

999:
That is a great practical - rather than simply theoretical - test platform.

Yes, I should have been more specific. This would be using a repro 1960s pickup - either a Thunderbucker I have or possibly one of the recent Chinese repros.

There is some subjectivity to the word "optimum", it's true. If the desire is to approximate the sound of a '60s bird, then the optimum is clearly the same position as original. I meant, any perceived advantage to deviating from this from those who might have tried (?)
My personal optimum is close to an original '60s TB II but with perhaps a touch more definition (thinking more about live use) but without taking on the overt characteristic of a soloed bridge pickup. I'll probably just play it safe and put it in the usual spot.

I've read through some of the Talkbass threads and pup placement is clearly a well tread topic; unsurprisingly, people have strong and usually contradictory opinions.

999:
Crossposts...

Yes, measuring one I know I like the sound of makes a lot of sense. The builder I'm working with was encouraging the Musicman placement and that just seemed too far back to me - but he''ll do whatever is specified. I'd hate to lose too much of the characteristic tbird oompf  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version