Author Topic: what model is this?  (Read 2210 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: what model is this?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »
thats a made in Japan "Epiphone by Gibson" with the Epi name covered by that truss rod cover (p.o.s.)
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

barend

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 03:36:33 AM »
So the Gibson logo is fake? I have seen one of these with an Epiphone label

In India they had a Gibson imitation guitar that was named Grabson and it had the same letters as the Gibson logo.
I also saw some Hender and Ibanoise guitars over there...talking about marketing...haha

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:22:16 AM »
no the logo is real. but you only see half. the logo says "EPIPHONE by GIBSON" he just covered the part that said EPIPHONE.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:58 AM »
seems that Gibson has more ugly models then I thought.

You have not seen the part of Uwe's office he keeps hidden behind the curtian- the Gibson basses in the jars.

barend

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:33:20 AM »
no the logo is real. but you only see half. the logo says "EPIPHONE by GIBSON" he just covered the part that said EPIPHONE.

ok, but by doing that he made it look like it is a 'real' Gibson. Also in the text he doesn't mention that it is an Epiphone and he claims it is a rare Gibson made in the USA.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »

I guess that is indeed pushing it, even if they are just a dumb pawn shop and weren't responsible for the - in the truest sense of the word - cover-up initially  ...   :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »
They may be dumb, but they're still dishonest. I'll bet they know exactly what they've got.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
Dishonest Pawnshop with plausible deniability?  Un-heard of!

The real kicker on these is that they were truly unplayable pieces of s.  I worked at GC when they came in and the sales staff were horrified at how completely bad they were.  The price - around $200 - made them attractive to parents looking to cheap out for their kid.  Thankfully we had the lower end Ibanez Sound Gear basses to show them.  You didn't have to know anything about the bass to pick up one of these and then the Ibanez to figure out something was rotten with them.

They did have knock-off Fender parts, so you in theory they could be adjusted.  But the amount of time, energy and advanced wood-working skills required to get the action and intonation happening was beyond anyone's limit.  I would call them firewood, but I am sure the chemicals in the paint and whatever is holding the sawdust together would kill a small town if burned.  I guess with their overall worthless-ness and the seller's misleading description, we can rest assured that Karma is a beotch for this whole sorry ebay affair.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Blazer

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »
As for answering your question on what model it it's, it's an Epiphone "Rock bass"

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »
Epiphone has come a long way,like the other Asia suppliers.

The JC rivals any Gibson for being a great bass. The new pro birds look to carry this on.

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:27 AM »
thats a made in Japan "Epiphone by Gibson" with the Epi name covered by that truss rod cover (p.o.s.)
Nah it's not a Japanese made bass, "Epiphone by Gibson" guitars and basses were made in Korea.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
Epiphone hasn't really come a long way.  They made really good stuff in Japan and Korea before, during and after the arrival of this blight.  It was astounding just how truly bad they were in comparison.  The Accu bass was a refinement of this nightmare, as apparently they sold enough of them to warrant some improvement and price uptick.  Even they were crummy, but I think whoever was skilled enough to cut the batwing headstock got to cut the neck heel too.  I think they were mostly bundled at the time with a strap, cord and amp.  So the strap was ok.

I hate them.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Blazer

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
Epiphone hasn't really come a long way.  They made really good stuff in Japan and Korea before, during and after the arrival of this blight.  It was astounding just how truly bad they were in comparison.  The Accu bass was a refinement of this nightmare, as apparently they sold enough of them to warrant some improvement and price uptick.  Even they were crummy, but I think whoever was skilled enough to cut the batwing headstock got to cut the neck heel too.  I think they were mostly bundled at the time with a strap, cord and amp.  So the strap was ok.

I hate them.
Don't get me started, I owned an Epiphone Les Paul custom and an Epiphone Firebird, both from the mid nineties and they had lousy pickups that hummed and screeched with even the lowest settings of distortion, totally unusable. Recently though, the epis feel like quality as soon as you pick them up, every so now and then you can tell a good instrument by just picking it up. And the recent Epi's all felt like quality gear when I picked one up. The Quality control DEFINATELY has taken a turn for the better in recent years and I applaud that.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
Dishonest Pawnshop with plausible deniability?  Un-heard of!

Remember Aabe's on 58th just off Nicollet? Remember when they got busted on camera by the local investigative TV news team?