Author Topic: Comments about Gretsch Filtertron pickups?  (Read 6562 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Comments about Gretsch Filtertron pickups?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
Thank you, Bill - GREAT pix!!  I see the brace was installed before it was painted, too...there's paint visible on the sides of the brace.

Interesting that it's not adjustable.  if I go that route, I need to get it right the first time.  It looks from the photos like in your Gretsch the brace is level with the underside of the body.  I can measure my pickups and see how that looks - I have the full floating bridge with the adjustable thumbwheels on the Univox, so maybe everything will just work out.

I'll take a good look this weekend.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
If I were doing these on a hollowbody, I'd rout out the braces before installing them under the top, i.e., countersink the ears on the pups  so I could put some foam in and have some height adjustment available to me.  I'd also use the Gretsch rings instead as long as they'd cover the holes on the top (most of them anyway).  I just got mine and they are nice.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
My thoughts agree with yours on the countersink...go deeper and leave some room for adjustment.  I just found an old mouse pad with the right neoprene, too!

Unfortunately the TV Jones rings won't cover the old holes.  Maybe I need to buy some PG material and a PG router bit and learn how to do this.  Might be cheaper than custom rings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."