Author Topic: Deserted Cities of the Heart  (Read 1368 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Deserted Cities of the Heart
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:30:17 AM »
I hadn't planned on posting another Cream video by this guy.  But in his newest videos he is playing a bass just like the one I got such a great deal on in early June.  So I couldn't resist posting.  In his comments, he said he sold a J bass to help pay for it and that this is the closest he can get to Jack's EB-3. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Deserted Cities of the Heart
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:25:54 AM »
Nice to see someone work out a more uncommon Cream song and do it so well. Thanks for sharing. If this guy put out a book, I'd be interested in getting a copy.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »
You're welcome.  That "Live Cream Volume II" is hard to beat.  That song has always been one of my favorites on it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Impressive playing and transcription. I'm not impressed by his tone, though, and that's clearly a 21st century SG Bass, not an EB3. Second time in the past week I've seen a recent SG Bass referred to as an EB3.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »
Impressive playing and transcription. I'm not impressed by his tone, though, and that's clearly a 21st century SG Bass, not an EB3. Second time in the past week I've seen a recent SG Bass referred to as an EB3.

I don't know why he put EB-3 in the title.  He noted in his comments it was as close to Jack Bruce's EB-3 as he could get.  It definitely is a 21st century SG.  I'm glad to see someone playing an ebony one.  You don't see that often.  For the past few years, I've started developing a preference for ebony basses for some reason.  This began because I was finding such good deals on them.  But started going beyond that.  BTW, I think some of the younger players may be getting confused by EB-0, EB-3 and SG all looking similar.  I wish Gibson had never come up with the SG term for basses quite frankly.  I really don't know what else they could have called it, but not that. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:19:38 PM »
I don't know why he put EB-3 in the title.  He noted in his comments it was as close to Jack Bruce's EB-3 as he could get.  It definitely is a 21st century SG.  I'm glad to see someone playing an ebony one.  You don't see that often.  For the past few years, I've started developing a preference for ebony basses for some reason.  This began because I was finding such good deals on them.  But started going beyond that.  BTW, I think some of the younger players may be getting confused by EB-0, EB-3 and SG all looking similar.  I wish Gibson had never come up with the SG term for basses quite frankly.  I really don't know what else they could have called it, but not that.

They could have called it an EB-3. They should have. Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with the Epi long scale version, who knows. But i doubt if younger players are confused, they probably weren't born yet when Gibson last issued anything with an EB-3 name.

I have a gloss ebony SG Special guitar. It rocks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 12:11:36 AM »
They could have called it an EB-3. They should have. Maybe they didn't want to confuse it with the Epi long scale version, who knows. But i doubt if younger players are confused, they probably weren't born yet when Gibson last issued anything with an EB-3 name.

I have a gloss ebony SG Special guitar. It rocks.

Well, ebony is good for guitar or bass, although I pay more attention to bass.  I was once reading of someone who only bought ebony basses.  He had about eight or so.  He said he did that because it was way easier to keep his wife from knowing when he bought a new bass. 

--Blaise Pascal