Author Topic: Mike Watt Interview  (Read 837 times)

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Mike Watt Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
I find Mike Watt a compelling individual. On the one hand there is this utterly workmanlike, selfless approach to music. He's like a guy whose off to lay a tarmac drive somewhere. On the other hand there is this whimsical, almost childlike approach to composition and songs. A lot of his stuff seems to have really idiosyncratic bass parts and revolve around the bass parts in particular.

I'm reminded a bit of the Scottish sculptor Jimmy Boyle. He was a former gangster who discovered, almost by accident, that he was a sculptor while serving a sentence in prison. On the one hand he's a hardnut you're not going to want to cross, but on the other he can produce this wonderfully creative, visionary work.

I have this mental image of Watt driving around in his Econoline van like he's off to fit a kitchen somewhere, only he's off to perform his third opera somewhere.

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Mike Watt Interview
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 09:02:33 AM »
I definitely view Mike Watt's work ethic as a plus. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal