Author Topic: We should start a gun thread....  (Read 9346 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: We should start a gun thread....
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2015, 06:19:22 AM »
I've had this P1 for many years. They are still pretty inexpensive but they are terrific pistols, and while reading about the S&W Model 39, learned that the US Army was so impressed with the P38s and post war P1s they asked for bids for a replacement for the .45. S&W offered the Model 39.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2015, 06:39:09 AM »
Nice gun Denis. I don't own any myself but support the second amendment.
Now these are some guns I need to get more familiar with.

On a side note, my father contracted malaria in Africa. At the time it led to a breakup with his then girlfriend. A couple years later he met my Mom.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
You guys are slipping....FOUR pages, and I'm the first to post this?   :o

After being off the grid for two weeks, I was also surprised to see it hadn't been posted.  I was just about to do so myself. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
US Army P38

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2015, 10:01:06 AM »
Check its history. Best pointing firearm I've ever had. It was the first double-action semi-auto made in the US.  The frame is alloy, so it's lighter than most full-size 9mm handguns.  There were a very few steel frame 39's made, but I have never seen the need for one. I especially like the double action capability on the first round, followed by single action on all later rounds.  No need to rack a slide or carry the gun "cocked and locked" status.  If you can find a nice one for $400, it may be a nice buy.  There were three models, with the main difference being the design of the ejection mechanism on the right side of the slide.  Mine is a 39-2. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."