Author Topic: Turn on, turn off  (Read 4737 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Turn on, turn off
« on: November 07, 2013, 06:10:39 AM »
Now that I've been using tube amps for a year or more, I saw in my Mesa manual, and read somewhere else, that you should always turn tube amps on and off via the standby switch.  So I've been doing that, i.e. always having the standby switch set to standby before turning the amp on or off.

The other day I forgot and flipped my amp off using the on/off switch and heard a loud pop as she powered down.  I don't recall reading about that, so do you folks think it's typical or unusual?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

stiles72

• View Profile
Re: Turn on, turn off
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
Most all of my tube amps have a standby switch which lets the tubes warm up before using. But a couple of them don't, like my Gibson THOR. When I play through it, I just make sure I turn the volume all the way down before I hit the power switch - otherwise I will get the "pop". 

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:15:46 AM »
I´d stick to the manual, but wouldn´t worry about a pop - at least it´s not unnatural.
But as long as you are aware of the correct routine, the amp is safe in your hands I think.

However, I find it strange that many people are lazy on the stand by routine, but still complain about tube prices.
It really is a difference, specially with tubes of a lesser quality.

I have built a 20w DR combo for our guitar player, and trained him to use the switch.

If he powers down now and forgets to use the stand by switch, he gets that frightened look on his face, like the amp is gonna blow up :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »
The old rule that I always lived by ,was turn on using the standby and off with the on/off switch.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:55:16 AM »
The old rule that I always lived by ,was turn on using the standby and off with the on/off switch.
Rick

I think a lot of people have no clue which order to use the switches...so they may be self-defeating in some cases.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
The theory in the on w/standby was to build heat gradually and warm things up and not push cold components. The off with the on/off switch was supposed to release the heat quicker, which is what I was told, is what you want to do. The cool down will be gradual enough though the off switch to pose no danger. After you turn it off with the off switch, then you flip the standby , so it will be ready for the next time you start the amp.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
That's what I was told many years ago too.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
That's what I was told many years ago too.

Back when we heard that story, electricity was still pretty new. So, I know it worked with old electricity, but with this new electricity that they're using these days, it might be different ,and I have no idea if it would work right for metal :P.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Back when we heard that story, electricity was still pretty new. So, I know it worked with old electricity, but with this new electricity that they're using these days, it might be different ,and I have no idea if it would work right for metal :P.
Rick

I remember old electricity. The electrons ran uphill both ways.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 05:24:07 AM »
And we were damn thankful we even had electrons.  Yep, those were the days  ;D
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
Standby off - power on - standyby on - use - stop using - standby off - power off...

Works by me...

The THUMP will eventually kill some speakers, sometimes... had a Marshall that did that...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »
Rick

+1
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
I flipped the Standby on first, then after a warm-up period, flipped the On switch.  If I was leaving for a few minutes I left Standby in the on position and flipped the On switch off...leaving it in Standby.  When leaving for the day, I flipped the Standby switch off.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 06:32:52 AM »
I flipped the Standby on first, then after a warm-up period, flipped the On switch.  If I was leaving for a few minutes I left Standby in the on position and flipped the On switch off...leaving it in Standby.  When leaving for the day, I flipped the Standby switch off.

I'm thinking not all standby switches are labeled the same. I currently have two tube amps with a standby function. Amp number one, has two switches. The first is a two position line reversing on/off switch with top and bottom positions "on" and center position "off". The second is the standby switch with bottom position "off" , meaning no sound comes out of the amp, and the top position is "on" , meaning in this position, sound does come out of the amp. The standby switch does nothing unless the on/off switch is turned on. So, "standby off" actually means the standby function is "on" (no sound), and "standby on" means no longer in standby function (amp on and ready to produce sound). 

Amp number two , has one rotary switch with two "on" positions and one standby position. No need for two switches. A yellow light indicates the amp is turned on and in standby mode(no sound comes out). Turn the switch to "on" and a red light comes on, the yellow light goes out and sound comes out of the amp. No guesswork to figure the meaning of on and off.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:55 AM »
I sold my old Bassman head and I don't remember which switch left the red pilot light on.

And typing "which switch" reminds me of a Danny Kaye routine...which included the line "Which witch switch should the Ipswich witch twitch?"..a play on an old tongue-twister.  I miss Danny Kaye.  http://www.wowowow.com/liz-smith/liz-smith-danny-kayes-centennial-year/