Author Topic: Bachbird makeover almost ready to come home  (Read 11108 times)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
Re: Bachbird makeover almost ready to come home
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
I traded a late 62 jazz bass for my 68 Tbird.Best thing i ever did trade wise.I have since gotten rid of my 69 jazz bass for a 76 tbird as well.I honestly thought nothing could touch my vintage jazz basses. I was WRONG!!The 68 tbird is the best sounding and playing bass i have ever owned period.And believe it or not, Other than the weight,My Bachbird is dam close to that.Thats a sweet Bachbird JohnBob
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
Thanks for reposting those! I love, love, love it with the black pickguard on it! Who made it for you?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Bluesman Vintage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:56 AM »
Somehow I postted this in the wrong thread already

Hello guys, I thought Id sign up for the forum  and answer a couple of those questions  that were asked about the finishing on Jeff's BaCH. 

I DID shoot the Nitro  over top of the poly  on this one in order to keep the cost down a little bit.  stripping poly finish is a long and laborous task  ESPECIALLY on a set neck instrument where you have to work around the neck joint and such.  I Always prefer to spray  a FULLY Nitro finish  whe doing a vintage restoration, refin, or even a new finish, but the cost  was a prohibitive factor on this one. and  to the Bach's credit, the Poly finish that it had wasnt too terribly thick so what wee did here was treat the existing poly finish much like a poly base coat that fender has been using since 1968. Which brings me to the question about checking.

Somone asked why their '62 reissue would check, even tho it was nitro over poly.  well the answer is that many companies including  gibson and fender  ad a hardening agent to their lacquer to prevent unwanted cracking and makes the  lacquer much harder and more durable.

the down side.... It also makes it much like a Poly finish in that it chokes the life out of the wood if applied to thick.  Under the right conditions this hardened  lacquer  can also crack or "check"  but many times the outcome is  not the desire asthetic, so  many "relic" guy  use a razor blade to apply checking cracks.   I PERSONALLY DO NOT.  I have seen many people try this blade checking tecnique and  have seen many people fail miserably at mking a believable  and authentic looking instrument.  In fact the Only person Ive seen  achieve any measure of success with this is TOM MURPHY of Gibson, and he is credited for creating the whol relic process for Gibson.

(Stepping down from my soapbox now....)
I hope tis answers any of the questions you may or may not have had  about  the BaCH finish we applied.

JOHN SCOTT
Bluesman Vintage Guitars (and Basses)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »
You Da Man John!!!!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 06:28:41 AM »

Somehow I postted this in the wrong thread already

I thought I was experiencing deja view ;D

Welcome to the forum John.

John

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:08 PM »
Cool to hear from you, John. I personally agree with you on the razor blade thing. Third Coast Guitar Repair here in Chicago swears by it.
I'm an RS Guitarworks endorser so I'm stuck on them. But your work looks Very nice!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
Oh I forgot to say...WELCOME to our club!!!

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »
Thanks for reposting those! I love, love, love it with the black pickguard on it! Who made it for you?

Denis - Thanks. JohnK made the black pickguard for me and he also helped me put the finishing touches on the bass in general. He most certainly did a great job in taking my amateurish refin job and making it look and play super pro.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Hello guys, I thought Id sign up for the forum  and answer a couple of those questions  that were asked about the finishing on Jeff's BaCH. 

I DID shoot the Nitro  over top of the poly  on this one in order to keep the cost down a little bit.  stripping poly finish is a long and laborous task  ESPECIALLY on a set neck instrument where you have to work around the neck joint and such.  I Always prefer to spray  a FULLY Nitro finish  whe doing a vintage restoration, refin, or even a new finish, but the cost  was a prohibitive factor on this one. and  to the Bach's credit, the Poly finish that it had wasnt too terribly thick so what wee did here was treat the existing poly finish much like a poly base coat that fender has been using since 1968. Which brings me to the question about checking.

Somone asked why their '62 reissue would check, even tho it was nitro over poly.  well the answer is that many companies including  gibson and fender  ad a hardening agent to their lacquer to prevent unwanted cracking and makes the  lacquer much harder and more durable.

the down side.... It also makes it much like a Poly finish in that it chokes the life out of the wood if applied to thick.  Under the right conditions this hardened  lacquer  can also crack or "check"  but many times the outcome is  not the desire asthetic, so  many "relic" guy  use a razor blade to apply checking cracks.   I PERSONALLY DO NOT.  I have seen many people try this blade checking tecnique and  have seen many people fail miserably at mking a believable  and authentic looking instrument.  In fact the Only person Ive seen  achieve any measure of success with this is TOM MURPHY of Gibson, and he is credited for creating the whol relic process for Gibson.

(Stepping down from my soapbox now....)
I hope tis answers any of the questions you may or may not have had  about  the BaCH finish we applied.

JOHN SCOTT
Bluesman Vintage Guitars (and Basses)

John,
Thanks a lot for all the helpful info. You did an excellent looking job on the bass. It's got me thinking about getting another Bachbird and having you do the refinish work on it. Love that color. I need to wait a bit so I can save up some money first though.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 04:34:12 AM »
I traded a late 62 jazz bass for my 68 Tbird.Best thing i ever did trade wise.I have since gotten rid of my 69 jazz bass for a 76 tbird as well.I honestly thought nothing could touch my vintage jazz basses. I was WRONG!!The 68 tbird is the best sounding and playing bass i have ever owned period.And believe it or not, Other than the weight,My Bachbird is dam close to that.Thats a sweet Bachbird JohnBob

I LOVE T Birds...But a '62 Jazz??? I'd Gladly trade my Inverness Green NR T bird II '68 for a Pre-CBS Jazz!!! (Preferably sunburst!!!)

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
Yeah.....but...Mine is a IV :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
Yeah.....but...Mine is a IV :mrgreen:
  You can keep the IVs. I'd take a II any day over a IV ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
Yeah..I hear ya...I went to Chicago Music Ecxchange today and played the ultimate bass...a 1961 slab board Jazz bass. It had the greatest neck I have ever felt...But ahem...Not for $20,000.......I'l stick with my Thunderbirds all the way....I also went to Rock N Roll Vintage and played a 1958 Rickenbacker 4000.......I'll stick with my Thunderbirds.

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 05:31:14 PM »
Ive had three 62's over the years and ive been a jazz bass guy all my playing days.Until i finally played this particular TBird.Honestly,all kidding aside.The bass smokes them all.The bass i traded for it was a good bass. But not a great bass.The IV i got,Had the original case in super clean shape.The mutes had never been off it,Original covers as well.It wore flats so it had no wear to the frets.Unbroken unmolested condition.Thats the first one i've ever played.I've been totally missing out all this time..

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
I had two basses when I was playing for a living.  It took a while to get two, but I finally had them -  a '64 Precision with a perfect neck, and a '63 Epiphone Embassy.  I had to sell one at one point when the kids were little.  Take a guess which one went, and which one stayed.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty