Author Topic: Another Top 10 list  (Read 8418 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Another Top 10 list
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »
These articles always make someone angry. I'm surprised no one is upset about Rick Neilsen being on the list.

At least we can all agree on Yngwie, can't we?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:56 PM »
These articles always make someone angry. I'm surprised no one is upset about Rick Neilsen being on the list.

At least we can all agree on Yngwie, can't we?

I'm surprised.  I think Nielsen is one of the best rhythm guitarists and song writers/thieves there ever was. 

If Yngwie weren't Yngwie, we'd probably like him.  I used to like some of the early stuff, like Alcatrazz.  I guess I still have a soft spot because his management team called me up after dropping off a band tape in the '80s.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
I watched a Guitar Center Presents with Joe Walsh - kind of the anti douche.  Came across as very decent, humble guy - seemed happy to be enjoying life sober.  You have to wonder how he survives being in the Eagles.  The performance was spot on too - a bunch of studio cats complete with three back up singers.

I love Joe Walsh. His contributions to the Eagles resulted in some of my favorite of their songs. And besides, his Facebook posts are hilarious. :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
The writer is a jackass. Rick Neilsen? I THINK this guy has no concept of irony. I'm surprised he didn't write "and he really needs to work on his wardrobe". Moron...

I was into Satriani and Vai for a while in the late 80s/early 90s. A lot of good stuff from those guys. And Van Halen is one of the greats.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
Wow, how'd they forget that douchy guy who played in Rainbow and Deep Purple?  ;)

Uwe's just mobilised some old friends in vewy shiny boots...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 07:15:02 AM »
The writer is a jackass. Rick Neilsen? I THINK this guy has no concept of irony. I'm surprised he didn't write "and he really needs to work on his wardrobe". Moron...

Not jackass: lazy and jealous Gen-X hipster trying to be all cool by villifying the music he used to like... before he discovered 'alt/indie/cooler than everyone else' music. Douches or not, those guys on the list are making a living playing music. Whaddya wanna bet the author has a dusty guitar leaning in the corner of his apartment bedroom that he used in college to try and score? Whaddya also want to bet it never worked either?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »
I repeat, I am glad John Mayer is on there.  Not so much because of his guitar playing, but because of his "singing."  Hearing him trying to sing just makes me want to smash things, preferably John Mayer's microphone. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 04:06:34 PM »
I repeat, I am glad John Mayer is on there.  Not so much because of his guitar playing, but because of his "singing."  Hearing him trying to sing just makes me want to smash things, preferably John Mayer's microphone. 

I could say the same about both Eric Clapton and Keith Richards.  Richards' thin, whiny voice is pretty clear.  Clapton, although I understand that his true desire was to be known as a singer, has taken a few decades to get a decent bluesy voice together.  I've always thought he was a competent singer, but had one of the most vanilla and lifeless vocal qualities around.  His singing was better left over a more aggressive backdrop.  In the past decade, I'll have to admit, he's gotten pretty good, but I would hope that 30+ years of doing would show some progress.   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
I could say the same about both Eric Clapton and Keith Richards.  Richards' thin, whiny voice is pretty clear.  Clapton, although I understand that his true desire was to be known as a singer, has taken a few decades to get a decent bluesy voice together.  I've always thought he was a competent singer, but had one of the most vanilla and lifeless vocal qualities around.  His singing was better left over a more aggressive backdrop.  In the past decade, I'll have to admit, he's gotten pretty good, but I would hope that 30+ years of doing would show some progress.   :mrgreen:

I agree.  The problem with Clapton, though, is that he seems to have gotten way worse through the years.  Now, I basically can't stand to hear him sing anything.  Keith Richards--to be honest, I don't have the attention span to even listen to him.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »
Uwe's just mobilised some old friends in vewy shiny boots...

No, just one, in suede boots.

But I won't ban you and the others because you had me cracking up reading this thread.

As for the list: I thought more than half of the solos in there were good to better, whether it was Mayer, Van Halen or Vai.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
Interesting story on John Mayer on CBS Sunday AM this weekend.  He's just recovering from a second operation for nodules on his vocal cords.  I kinda like the guy.  I do like his version of Route 66 from the movie Cars.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
Nothing wrong with it - I had never heard of him before, so I'm neutral.

Speaking of Route 66, I like the waitresses in this particular version sung by the ole lounge lizard who is a soaring Eagle in his day job.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:07:46 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
That's really a classic take in the style of the 50's. 

If you like the waitress outfits, I'm sure you'll also like this important CPR training from the French Maids...and the "Help" when it arrives...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngYAoZn-pmU&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DngYAoZn-pmU&has_verified=1
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
I do hope your wife and daughters don't find that post... to many questions may be raised... :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »
I feel like I totally know CPR now - thanks!  :)