Author Topic: Concerts you regret NOT seeing  (Read 9610 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Concerts you regret NOT seeing
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:52 AM »
Now that you mention it, I'm sorry that I didn't get to see Humble Pie when Marriott was around.  I know people who have seen them that said Marriott was riveting in his prime.  Lately, I've been on a Marriott kick.  I downloaded a '73 Humble Pie show from Winterland off of Wolfgang's Vault, and have a bunch of odds and ends from his later bands.  Steve Marriott and The Original Receivers was pretty good, even as Marriott's addiction got worse.   In the last years, his contract rider included - a secured area immediately behind the drum kit for Marriott's personal and private use.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
I saw Marriot about 4 weeks before his death in a small pub on the Old Kent Road. There were only about 50 ppl there but he seriously rocked the joint.
Digresion our specialty!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 08:32:19 AM »
Steve Marriot was the man.  Got to see him 4 or 5 times ( mostly with the PIE) . Once with Bob Tench from Jeff Beck Group II as second guitarist.   if my memory hasn't failed me AC/DC opened for them one tour i saw. 
Marriot was always great and actually not a bad guitarist when he focused on the job at hand.  He is the original Rock Star for me.  Before his death supposedly he had cleaned up  his act and was gettingready for a big comeback...  Shame

Rob if you are going back in time I recommend 2 groups for you that you may not know -  Cactus and Rhinoceros. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40:33 AM »

Rob if you are going back in time I recommend 2 groups for you that you may not know -  Cactus and Rhinoceros.  

Thanx!
Never heard of the band Rhinoceros until a day ago , when I read the blog that started the "classic rock lost diamonds" thread.
Cactus I do know.
Cactus did a reunion a while back with Jimmy Kunes on vocals. Jimmy is hard workin' down to earth kinda guy. We met at MySpace.
Check out his profile there
www.myspace.com/jimmykunes
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:46:10 AM by Basvarken »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
saw Cactus with jimmy at BB kings when they reunited.  My buddy is friends with Carmine so we hung out a while.  And we know Randy , the harp guy that sits in....     Jimmy is a cool guy.  Bogert is another story....  So you have their original three albums??  Smokin boogies.

Rhinoceros - first album is amazing - downhill after that
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Regret not going to see;

Boston on their first tour.
ZZ Top don't remember what tour it was but it was before Eliminator. Had the tickets but the show was cancelled. The next time they came to town we were booked in a club, we "opened" for their opening band (they were booked to play the club we were at after getting offstage at the ZZ show).

I missed seeing Oingo Boingo, damnit!
Missed The Tubes, had to work.

Peter Frampton had to cancel the gig he had here last week because he lost all his gear in the Nashville floods. I saw him twice back in the day. The first time was around the "Comes Alive" era and the second was a few years later. A few weeks after the second time I saw him he lost all of his equipment in a plane crash, guy has bad luck with gear!

I almost got to open for Stevie Ray Vaughn in a club but they cancelled, we played the gig anyway :D

I saw Randy Rhoads with Ozzy just a few weeks before he was killed. I had the opposite experience, I thought he was one of the most amazing guitarists I had ever seen and I had seen Eddie Van Halen at the height of his powers. I think that if he had lived he would have eclipsed Eddie.

I saw Black Sabbath on the Heaven & Hell album tour. Dio was amazing he was, IMO, better than Ozzy was in Black Sabbath.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

nofi

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 05:07:51 AM »
probably all of the singers that came and went in sabbath were better than ozzy. but they did not have that undefineable 'ozness' that makes ozzy king.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
Boston played the London Rainbow in '78 which is where I saw them - ridiculous stunt to bring a full size church organ on tour...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »
probably all of the singers that came and went in sabbath were better than ozzy. but they did not have that undefineable 'ozness' that makes ozzy king.

That's because Ozzy is the eternal geek 16-year-old.  I saw them on the Volume IV tour.   You can't help but love the overgrown kid in him.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hornisse

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »
I left out Thin Lizzy.  Wish I would have caught them!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
Stones - 2007, Ottawa ......... although I'd seen them a number of times before, I was told this was an AMAZING show.

Pink Floyd - 1989(?), Ottawa

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 01:32:16 PM »
My father-in-law remembers seeing the Stones in a bar in Richmond in their very early days, as he frequently reminds people...  ;)

He used to play drums in a skiffle outfit in the early sixties...

I've never seen them...

Deeply regret not seeing Free but first saw Bad Co in '74
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
Kenny, that would have been the Station Hotel across from the tube entrance. When I lived in Kingston I used to go over to visit a musician mate who lived in Richmond. He pointed out the pub and also Peter Greens old house.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
That's the one...

One of the Yardbirds used to live next door (prior to me living here)

Hornisse

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »
The cool thing about me going to see The Stones in '75 was that my 2 sisters that took me saw them in Dallas in '65.  Back then they really dressed up to go to the show and their dates wore suits!  I think this was the same tour ('65) where they were famously booed off the stage in San Antonio.  Mick Jagger stated he'd never play "Cowtown USA" again.  I guess it took him 10 years to forgive. :)