Author Topic: anybody need a choke?  (Read 1276 times)

ramone57

• View Profile
anybody need a choke?
« on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:30 AM »
I rewired my ripper a while back and did not use the choke in the new harness.   I thought somebody here might need one...any takers?   I'm not asking for $$ but could use a couple of spacers for a bridge cover and a D string tuner for my triumph (see pic).  doesn't have to be an even swap, we can work something out to make everybody happy.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:50:22 AM by ramone57 »

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
Re: anybody need a choke?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
If the 'choke' for a Ripper is the same as an mid 60's EB-2 (same value in Henries?) then I'm for figurin' a swap of some kind.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:21:50 AM »
this isn't a pic of mine, just showing what the choke looks like.   the schematic only lists a part number but no value for it.  not sure if this helps you or not.  I'll post a pic of my choke over the weekend.  I have a small multimeter but I'm not sure how to measure it. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:31:20 AM by ramone57 »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
thats the later model choke, about 70 or 71 up. it should have a value of 1.5 Henry, the last one i popped onto a meter said 2.74 K ohms dcr.

i talked to Dan Torres about those and he told me they were a hangover from Gibson amps and rated about 400V. i don't know anything other than what he said and that just might be his opinion. the chokes he sold me don't look anything like that and are certainly rated at far less V.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »
yes, it's from a '76 ripper.  I measured it last night at 2.69 k ohms dc resistance so that's in the ballpark, I reckon.  don't know how to convert to henry, but it should be close to the one old puppy measured.  hope that helps.

here's a pic of the choke from my cellphone

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:03:20 AM by ramone57 »

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:27 PM »
I'm so sorry for not getting back on this sooner. I have been in the studio for 5 days (13 hour days) and I'm fuzzy around the edges. It appears this choke is not of the same value as an EB-2 and also does not have the "canister" that is embedded in the route under the bridge of an EB-2...so please accept my apologies for not following through or replying decisively sooner.

The good news is The RaveUps have got 99% of their record in the can ;-))

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:49:22 AM »
no problem.   good luck with your recording.