Author Topic: which mic for what?  (Read 1850 times)

ramone57

• View Profile
which mic for what?
« on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
I bought an audio interface and I'm starting to record at home.  I've been fooling with digital audio for awhile but haven't done much recording on the pc.  I'm finding that my sm-57 is pretty decent for some things (amps & vocals), it's not very good at others.  I'm curious as to what types of mics are typically used for recording acoustic guitar or upright bass.  I've been googling all kinds of stuff but you know how message boards can be and there's always good advice here, so I hope you guys won't mind sharing your knowledge and experience.  thanks very much!

chromium

• View Profile
Re: which mic for what?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »
For upright bass, I'm using an Underwood transducer - like this one:  https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=6160    I run it thru an Alembic F-2B preamp direct into the audio interface, and the bass sounds much better than I sound playing it  ;D  I haven't had experience with any other transducers to compare, though.  This one was under $200, and seemed to elicit favorable opinions from folks.

Actually, I just recently recorded a little improv "thing" with it.  Its not much of a bass (or talent :) ) showcase - rather a demo for a synth controller that I build.  But you can at least hear what the upright sounds like with that setup, running into a cheap M-Audio interface:

I haven't been down the acoustic guitar path yet...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:39:11 AM »
Thats very cool Chromium. I love that um slider thing. I found myself being sucked into the whole thing and had to pull myself back and watch what you were doing.
  I've been using a Rhode M3 mic for acoustic guitar which is insanely cheap for how good it sounds. I'm not an upright player so I haven't tried it with one.
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
thanks for the feedback, guys.  I decided to go for this akg. 

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1055,nodeid,2,_language,EN,pid,1055.html

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:03 AM »
Thats very cool Chromium. I love that um slider thing. I found myself being sucked into the whole thing and had to pull myself back and watch what you were doing.

Thanks!  I have a fetish level interest in that stuff that rivals that of basses, hence my cottage-industry controller.  The hobbies are taking over!      

thanks for the feedback, guys.  I decided to go for this akg. 

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1055,nodeid,2,_language,EN,pid,1055.html

Cool- I'd be curious what you think of it, and how you feel it complements the sm57 (that's my first/only mic so far).   I haven't experimented much with mics/mic'ing yet.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »
Chromuim, I have a mate here in Adelaide (The Barossa really) who is mad nuts on Moog and Hammond. He has a studio out at Lyndoch and had recorded whlole albums of stuff which is quite good. His collection of both those brands and a Wurli, Rohdes etc is very impressive. It would be fair to call his interest bordering on fetish too. I'm sure he would be very interested in your controller.

His name is Glenn Waglen and he uses the moniker Horrahed.
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 04:00:21 AM »
got the mic yesterday and checked it out briefly.  it's very clear sounding and doesn't color the sound.  I didn't have much time but it did a good job on the acoustic guitar.  of course, my playing is suspect but at least the sound was crisp and clear.  the mic has a low freq roll off feature that really helped get rid of unwanted lows.  mud's ok for bass, but I don't want a muddy acoustic guitar.  the SM57 is a fine mic for many applications but it lacked the kind of definition I was looking for when recording my acoustic.   I'm happy with it.  and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AKG-Perception-220-Cardioid-Condenser-Mic-Case-Shock_W0QQitemZ390042210730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item390042210730&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:53:29 AM »
I like the specs and design of that mike.  I also like the bass cut option and the attenuation, but I'm especially fond of cardioid mikes. I have never liked omni mikes except for some very generic and non-critical applications.  I do note that as a condenser mike, it requires phantom power and doesn't have a battery, so you must use a mixer which provides that 48V phantom power.

I'll bet that's a very nice mike indeed!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:48:38 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
my recording set up is quite basic, Pilgrim (I feel like John Wayne typing your screen name!).  my family bought me a Presonus Firebox audio interface for Christmas, which came with Cubase LE4.  the Presonus supplies the power for the mic.  yeah, I do have a small mixer and other assorted pieces of gear that could be utilized for recording but I find I'm able to make do with the interface and software (although a pair of semi-decent monitors is essential for mixing).
a few of my friends have similar set ups and we're able to share our projects.  it's pretty cool and I have to say that I never imagined working from home could be so much fun!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
I wasn't aware of that mic Ramone but MAN! how cheap is that for a quality sounding mic?  Good score. I might buy and try myself.
Digresion our specialty!