Author Topic: Any Holy Grail users here?  (Read 3986 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Any Holy Grail users here?
« on: November 05, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »
I'm starting to eye the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail, but it seems to come in two versions - there's the earlier Electro-Harmonix model and the newer EHX Holy Grail Nano Reverb model.  The latter model sounded pretty darn nice in a couple of youTube demos.

Anyone used either of these?

Has there just been a change in cosmetics, or are they different pedals?

I'm also looking at the Van Amps Reverbmate or Sole-Mate, which have actual spring tanks.  Anyone used one of those?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:29:02 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Any Holy Grail users here?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
Perhaps not many reverb users here?  Or maybe just no one uses those particular reverbs. 

I'm after that "plonk in the water" reverb sound that the old Fender tanks had.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 05:00:48 AM »
I used to own the Holiest Grail, and I've played 'em all. These are excellent, great-sounding boxes. All of them can emulate a Fender tank quite easily, but there are little differences. I'll summarize:

Holy Grail / Holy Grail Nano - One knob / One Switch - One thing you have to consider is that the more you crank the reverb, the more of your dry signal is blended out. So you can't really get a lot of reverb for background ambience without washing out your guitar signal too. But this may not bother you, since this is similar to the behavior of amp-reverb.

Holy Grail Plus - Three Knobs - Same as the Holy Grail, but with an added blend knob that cures the above problem. It also has a "Plate" reverb setting on top of the normal Spring, Hall, and Flerb.

Cathedral - 6 knobs - The latest update on the concept, and essentially the Holiest Grail Nano, adds a few extra modes and an infinite dwell footswitch. This is probably the best one out there if you want to go with a very tweakable, full featured 'verb.

hope that helps.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.  Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three.  Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.  Five is right out.  Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
Used to own a black F*nd*r reverb; not an amp, just a reverb unit... picked her up as junk and found the only "fault" to be that it was 110v - had her for some years but sold on to a collector as I could see no reason for keeping... that unit sounds quite interesting... not heard of before, but then again, not presently using any effects...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
I've been surfing YouTube video and the Holy Grail and Spring Chicken both sounds pretty good.  There's also an advantage to both - only ONE knob.  You get more reverb or less.  That's my kinda pedal.  The Cathedral has way too many knobs for my simple brain.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
............  There's also an advantage to both - only ONE knob........That's my kinda pedal.  The Cathedral has way too many knobs for my simple brain.

;D So, what you are saying is that the years you spent at TAMU had an affect on your intellect ???  It's long been my understanding that this is a common outcome ;D ;) :P

"You may claim your loyalty to that other place but one degree, of any type, from A&M makes you an Aggie thus makes you eligible for the occasional Aggie joke"  :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:51 PM »
Did you hear about the Aggie who read that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home, so he moved?

Maybe that explains how Al got to Fort Collins.  :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 05:56:34 AM »
"And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin.  Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three.  Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.  Five is right out.  Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
Used to own a black F*nd*r reverb; not an amp, just a reverb unit... picked her up as junk and found the only "fault" to be that it was 110v - had her for some years but sold on to a collector as I could see no reason for keeping... that unit sounds quite interesting... not heard of before, but then again, not presently using any effects...

I had a guitar player who had a Fender reverb unit that was actually designed as a plug in piece for a column PA system back in 69-70. It had a metal rectangular can in it that was filled with oil. It worked OK but my friend opened up the oil can and noticed it wasn't quite full, so he filled it up. He plugged it in and hit one note on his guitar and the freakin' thing went nuts reverberating that one note over and over and gaining volume and speed  all the while. It never stopped  ;D. It went freakin' nuts :o. He unplugged it an tossed it in a closet and never touched it again. I would bet if he plulled it out and plugged it in again that same note would pick up right where it left off 40 years ago.
I guesss the moral of the story is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or maybe "don't add oil if it ain't got a dipstick".......maybe "don't smoke pot and mess around with stuff ". ;D
Rick

nofi

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
hey kenny you are allowed to print FENDER around here even though it's a gibson centric environment. without leo you would probably be playing a uke. ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
;D So, what you are saying is that the years you spent at TAMU had an affect on your intellect ???  It's long been my understanding that this is a common outcome ;D ;) :P

"You may claim your loyalty to that other place but one degree, of any type, from A&M makes you an Aggie thus makes you eligible for the occasional Aggie joke"  :P

Ah, how true it is!  In fact, one of my good friends at A&M, a distinguished professor, is the author of all the Texas Aggie joke books.  He's made pretty good $ off of them.

However, as a former and present employee of three Land-Grant universities, I would assert that a desire for simplicy and effectiveness in application is equally responsible.

Harrumph, harrumph!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
F... E... N... D... E... R... spells FENDER...! there..! I said it...! and I didn't choke, either...   :P

I do want to get a Jazz one day, and maye a realy old P or re-issue, cash willing, which is in mucho short quantity at the mo... a big Berry Oakley and Dennis Dunaway fan... I just got switched onto the Gibson style early on... Leo Fender's place in musical history is truly assured...

My Fender reverb had a standard spring-line inside, exactly the same in design to an old Bird Golden Eagle I used to own... died... only bit left is the logo...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...