Author Topic: New speaker has arrived  (Read 9139 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New speaker has arrived
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Sounds like a bad situation that looks to get worse before it gets better. Too bad.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »
why oh why does he have to touch your preamp while you are playing?some one should show him where the attenuation switches are on his d.i.

Man, what sucks is that the line out was coming from the back of my SVP-PRO and the pad switch is on the front of these preamps. Not only that but it was in use because I was playing an active bass. Regardless, the amp was pumping like a Mo Fo and there was no way in hell that the audience couldn't hear me. (confirmed by another bassist in the crowd) He was just up there because he wasnt getting a loud enough signal to record.
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 05:34:48 AM »
...continued.....

When we play small venues like this one we use our own small Yamaha PA mostly for vocals and a small amount of kick. We have been doing it for years and know (soundwise) most of the rooms that we play in and we are usually complimented on our sound. We are very used to working together from a sound perspective.

If these guys were serious about wanting to record all the bands that play there IMHO they should have spent enough cash to include a splitter or be prepared to do a parallel setup for live and recording. From what I've heard the owner has very limited experience as an engineer and the mixes that I've heard were really quite bad.

After my little disagreement with the sound guy Leo tried to calm the situation down a bit by going over and having a chat with the bloke. He called me over and the upshot of this short convo was me telling him not to ever walk onto a stage in the middle of a song and start screwing with my gear. I felt like a complete arrogant prima donna but to be honest not a real lot gets me upset normally. I invite a lot of players up to do songs on my basses and amp regularly. Common sense dictates that most people show respect for another persons gear and this has been my experience.

Then to top it all off we got some of the recorded songs coming up not only FOH but in the FB during instrument changes and then were lucky enough to be able to hear ourselves replay the previous set between sets......yay!  >:(

The whole thing put me in a bad mood that didnt go away and I had to work very hard for the rest of the night so as not to let this show too much in my playing and spoil the gig for the other guys, not to mention the crowd.

The best part of the night for me was when my Irish mate Gerry got up and played bass to one of our originals. He has some of the best feel I've heard. This of course confirmed to me that my sound was fine as I had originally set it.

Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
 :bored:... hmm... wha.. oh yeah... hi Bret... (cheaper than sleepers... ;D)

Well, I did ask...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
WellI did warn you  :P
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
Et Tu Breté  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...