Author Topic: New speaker has arrived  (Read 9140 times)

jmcgliss

• View Profile
Re: New speaker has arrived
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
I have two Mesa 1x15s, each has whatever 400 watt EV-15 version came standard in them circa mid 90s.
I had two of these in the 90's and wish I still had them to A/B. I've changed too many things to remember how power-hungry they were.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:04:21 AM »
I have two Mesa 1x15s, each has whatever 400 watt EV-15 version came standard in them circa mid 90s.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that those older ones were basically TL-606 cabs. I had one for a while (loaded with the aforementioned 15L). Once I started working in the case industry, I just built my own and sold the Mesa.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »
...so I have to tell it like it is: Had the time and motivation today. Tried my cabinet (15 " Electro Voice + JBL) in combination with my Ampeg bass amp. Worked just perfect!!! Which means it's the Dual Showman that's f**ked. Brought it to my specially trusted technician. He's gonna look into it. Maybe it's the tubes? Anyone got any ideas concerning tubes?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »
Tubes help you breathe more easily.... oh, sorry... that was an old Tunes advert...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
Used it sat night, WoW! it moves some air! Sounded brilliant, had an effortless-ness to the sound, more specifically the bottom end.

All was going well untill the sound guy pushed past me on the stage and started screwing with the knobs on the SVP-PRO.  Bad outcome  :vader:
Digresion our specialty!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
Used it sat night, WoW! it moves some air! Sounded brilliant, had an effortless-ness to the sound, more specifically the bottom end.

All was going well untill the sound guy pushed past me on the stage and started screwing with the knobs on the SVP-PRO.  Bad outcome  :vader:

I would have pushed back.  >:(

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
"Careful with that axe Eugene... er... sorry... Bret, isn't it...?"

You do seem to have some issues with the local sound-men; persuade them to do some deep sea swimming, but slice them a few times, first...  but not with any bow-legged wimin... (BER-DUM...... BER-DUM....... :popcorn:)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »

That's what Fender basses are for - they're built so you can whack him with the headstock and not damage the bass.  VERRRY functional!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »
Headless basses are more fit-for-purpose, Al, especially the dark coloured ones; you could always sharpen the edge of the "head", too... a nice budget Hohner would be just the ticket... (certainly punches straight through speakers without any loss of intonation, guaranteed - personal experience...!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 04:44:26 PM »
Fender introduces.........the BEN-HUR Special!

Complete with razor sharp headstock to cut through complaints and unwanted visitors on the bandstand....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 03:53:50 AM »
I would have pushed back.  >:(

I did  :rolleyes:       

Stage was only 2 feet high but after I stopped playing (in the middle of the song) and walked over to him and told him to leave my amp alone, he started an argument with me there in the middle of the stage about how he didnt have enough line signal. I told him we had played the venue more than 20 times without any need for a DI out for my bass (its not THAT big a room) and to leave it alone and get off the stage. I gently pushed him towards the edge of the stage and he stumbled a bit as he went backwards off it.  :-[

There is a whole lot more to this story which I wont bore you with but what kind of idiot cant wait until the end of a song to speak to me?.

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »
You da man!  Good move.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
I thought I had wandered into the Gene Simmons AXE thread for a moment there, chaps... ;D

You don't get off the hook that easy Antipodean... Bore us...  :mrgreen:

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »
OK just for you Ken:

The venue is a small pub with a good sounding (and shaped ) room. Intimate but still comfortable. We have played this place over 20 times and built up a regular and appreciative crowd. Just recently it was sold. The new owner decided he was going to put in a new sound system, including a Mac with LogicAudio on it. Last show we noticed that he was doing his mix based on the sound in his cans rather than the live sound. He only has the one feed so he cant (properly) do both.
Leo's (our guitarist/singer) son Jordy played there with his band recently and informed us that after each set the guy was playing the recording (in Full) back through the PA. The fact that most of the bands that play there play covers and a very small number of unpublished originals means that he can do it legally here. The problem we have is that about 25% of our material is original and most of that has copyright and has been published. He has no legal right here to record it without our permission, which we have not given. No written contract for this show (he books direct) probably doesn't help the matter. We have his verbal assurance that he will not record songs which we own. As if we have any way of stopping or knowing that he is doing it.

We went to the gig Saturday night after a discussion with each other have made the decision that we would not be recorded and if he insisted then we would blow out the show.
When we turned up we met the 20 year old sound guy who informed us that the owner was away and that he would be mixing.
We have our own sound guy normally who comes with his own PA and knows our songs and who we have the highest regard for.

Gotta go, I'll finish this later...
Digresion our specialty!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
why oh why does he have to touch your preamp while you are playing?some one should show him where the attenuation switches are on his d.i.
Louder bass!.