Author Topic: Rough Explorer Bass  (Read 1916 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Rough Explorer Bass
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »
That would definitely upgrade it, but do the same thing to an Epi carcass and the result is even better. The Epi Explorer simply roars with TB Plus pups and has a Ric type edge to it too.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 07:27:20 AM »
I thought about buying it and putting T bird pickups and a T Bird tune-o-matic bridge in it.

Do you want to sell your pickups?  ;D
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:39 AM »
I thought about buying it and putting T bird pickups and a T Bird tune-o-matic bridge in it.

+1! Too much work though. The fingerboard got trashed when they took out the frets. Etc.......

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »
The best "Gibson" Explorer bass that went into series is still the Epi one - buy one of those and pimp it.

The Gibson model is 32" (Epi: 34") and is overall a lame affair. It does nothing that even a Q-80 wouldn't do better and it is certainly no match for a Thunderbird, Ripper, Victory, LP Bass or mubucking EB. If you absolutely feel you must have a Gibson model wait for one of the shadow piezo models to come round which sound more assertive and - miraculously so - organic than a magnetic pup one.

I love the Explorer shape, but Gibson wasted it on this series.

Uwe
I know the one I had didn't come close to my current birds. I think if I feel the urge to splurge, I'd probably go witht he Epi and add some upgrades. Much rather have the 34" and also the neck pup right up against the neck :)   

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
I have a complete fingerboard from a '67 Thunderbird IV. Maybe I should snag that Explorer and make a proper 34' scale out of it...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
Do you want to sell your pickups?  ;D

;D

Denis!

30 days in ze kooler for you!

;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...