Author Topic: Chicago rated the third worst place to live in the US  (Read 1171 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Chicago rated the third worst place to live in the US
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1422442,chicago-miserable-city-forbes-021009.article

Chicago is America's third most miserable city, beating out bleak towns like Flint, Mich. and Buffalo, NY, according to a recently released Forbes magazine list.

To me it feels the same as where I grew up, Cleveland which ranked right after Chicago

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Chicago rated the third worst place to live in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
I love Chicago!  I've been gone 10 years now, but I'd go back in a heartbeat.

It's no wonder Chicago ranked.  Look at the criteria:

Forbes used nine factors -- commute times, corruption, pro sports teams, Superfund sites, income and sales taxes, unemployment, violent crime and weather -- when ranking the cities.

Commute times, corruption, sales taxes and pro sports teams killed us.  Guess the Bulls have been gone too long, but the White Sox have to count for something.

Not surprised about Cleveland.  Hell, the Ohio local income tax is enough to drive anyone crazy. I'm *still* trying to figure out how that works - you pay tax where you work and where you live.  There are adjustments by percentage depending on the tax rates.   Weird.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
 I am surprised Rochester NY isn't high on the list. The other week a 14 year old punk shot a Police Officer in the back of the head in broad daylight.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
I love Chicago. I haven't spent much time there for a few years, but it is my favorite big city. I like Cleveland too. Years ago it was kind of a pit, but I like Cleveland a lot these days. I live in the Detroit burbs , and I like where I live. I wouldn't give 2 cents to live right in Detroit :)
Rick

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »
So, where was Gary Indiana on this list?  I like to think of Gary as a tetanus infection in Chicago's big toe.  In fact, Chicagoans have a long proud tradition of urban pioneering, but even Gary isn't worth the effort.  And you can throw a rock at it from the crappier parts of Chicago and break a window if there were any left.

I think the problem with Chicago is that you look at the people and the business and the lakes, etc, etc, and there is literally no excuse for it to be that big a city with that much going for it, and have those kinds of problems.  But politically, as ole Mike Dukakis used to say, the fish rots from the head down.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »

It's been about 5 years since I briefly got to visit Chicago on a business trip which of course is much different than living there........Actually I thought it was a nice very metropolitan city with many architecturally significant buildings, it was summertime and the lake was quite beautilful too.
What I really missed was being able to see the city from some distance away like you can here in Seattle, no sweeping vistas from nearby hills.............no nearby hills  ;) 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »
It's just another list made by someone who probably has no idea what it's really like in those cities. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Whoever made that list is a pussy! LOL! Chicago - I love it. Builds character.

tom grossheider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
Chicago truly is a wonderful place to visit! I live 40 miles away and avoid it as often as possible, unless there is something specific I need to do there. Like a White Sox game....