Author Topic: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!  (Read 15459 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Breaking Deep Purple News?
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
Ah, that cooling effect ...

Just remember, good rectal health is no accident  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
If I tell Edith "I wanna go tandem with you", she'll only suspect the worst!!!

:mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2015, 04:21:48 PM »
If I tell Edith "I wanna go tandem with you", she'll only suspect the worst!!!

Tell her that love means exploring all openings.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
Rod Stewart was almost in Deep Purple? That's as weird as Les Claypool almost being in Metallica. I can't imagine Rod belting out Child in Time ...

They didn't think he was good enough after seeing him live (no joke!). The Jeff Beck Group was - along with Cream and early Led Zep - a pivotal influence on a lot of British bands. There might have also been a connection with Jon Lord as he was in a band/project with Ronnie Wood prior to Deep Purple (Santa Barbara Machine Head) and even prior to that had played with Ronnie's brother Art in the unsurprisingly named Artwoods. Anyway, The Faces and DP would stay friendly. DP broke America as the opening act of the Faces on their numerous tours, and DP never complained about their treatment and were full of praise for the backstage parties the Faces threw. Their only criticisam was, according to Ian Paice, that "the Faces were sometimes too knackered to play properly and that worked to our advantage as we would only party after our gigs", but that was of course part of the Faces' charm.

I doubt that Rod Stewart would have even seriously considered joining DP - coming from the Jeff Beck Group his work experience with guitar heroes had been such that he probably did not feel that it really warranted repetition. Instead he thought that the Jeff Beck Group bass blayer should play lead guitar in his new group.  ;) Plus, and this is where your Child in Time argument comes in, Purple wanted someone with a Robert Plant type range to follow their original singer Rod Evans who was essentially a baritone. While the young Rod Stewart still had a great range, he wasn't into screaming above the music in the vein of Plant, Gillan, Byron or Ozzy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:08:51 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 08:15:09 AM »
Tell her that love means exploring all openings.  ;)

The allegedly rampant popularity of derriere sex among women is largely a male misconception I believe. 8) It's one of those things the two genders rarely agree on and can be a real romantic spoiler.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:36:07 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2015, 03:38:46 AM »
Meanwhile, in another part the world ...

First gig of the new tour, revamped set, even one new, as yet unrecorded song ... not bad for the ole warhorses! Hearing them now as opposed to the 70ies in full flight, they have essentially become a Prog band thanks to Morse's and Airey's songwriting plus Gillan's steadfast refusal "to sing what other singers might have sung here". That was actually what made Blackmore and him fall out in 1972/73 and ended DP Mk 3. Blackmore flipped when Gillan came up with the following lead vocal melody over one of Blackmore's riffs, he wanted something more conventional/accessible (great Strat solo though!):

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:57:34 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
Vamos, Ricardo Negromoro haffa chosen heez singa!!! Let me introdooza to you: Ronnie Romero!

http://www.thehighwaystar.com/news/2015/11/07/blackmore-names-his-band/

The future is Hispanic, eat your heart out, Donaldo***. And it de veras can sing.

***To trump any arguments about me sneaking in a hidden political comment, I meant the Donald with the bad hair:

Don Airey, ex-Rainbow and current Deep Purple organist. What other Donald could possibly make sense in a thread devoted to Ritchie Blackmore?!  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:27:34 PM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:58 PM »
He has moments where he sounds like that other Ronnie.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
And a young Coverdale all rolled into one. I'm sure his nick-name "Ronnie" is no coincidence, he's probably a Ronaldo.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »
Always heart-warming when young people play the songs of their elders, in this case little Scott Holiday of Rival Sons:

That European tour with Purple should have helped Rival Sons' career in leaps and bounds, they had a really good sound courtesy of Purple, went down extremely well with the Purple crowd (not too modern, eh?) and the tour was largely sold out. Not that they don't deserve it, I knew their last album, but found them even more impressive on stage.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
Ol' Blackers sounding darn good here.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
An NME scribe once wrote. "Blackmore is never gonna be another Hendrix, he is not into that sort of frenzied inspiration: What he has built his reputation on is a clever mix of dynamics and drama."

And my son, himself someone who prefers Jimmy Page and Slash as guitarists, once observed: "Blackmore's solo playing doesn't have any sex or dirt in it, which is why it does little for me, but his solos are sophisticated and clever to the point of cunning. He thinks different to other guitarists."

Both comments kind of sum Blackmore's one-of-a-kind solo style up. I would add that I know of no other hard rock guitarist with the same fluid all-over-the-fretboard dexterity and the ability to play uncommon scales, yet never sounding like he is rehearsing them. He just plays unusual melodies and notes in a style of his own. Plus he has a real knack of leaving space and being rhythmically accurate without sounding rigid. He is in control of what he is playing in a soaring way. Miles Davis comes to mind (if only as regards the approach to solos), and I'm not joking either.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »
An NME scribe once wrote. "Blackmore is never gonna be another Hendrix, he is not into that sort of frenzied inspiration: What he has built his reputation on is a clever mix of dynamics and drama."

And my son, himself someone who prefers Jimmy Page and Slash as guitarists, once observed: "Blackmore's solo playing doesn't have any sex or dirt in it, which is why it does little for me, but his solos are sophisticated and clever to the point of cunning. He thinks different to other guitarists."

Both comments kind of sum Blackmore's one-of-a-kind solo style up. I would add that I know of no other hard rock guitarist with the same fluid all-over-the-fretboard dexterity and the ability to play uncommon scales, yet never sounding like he is rehearsing them. He just plays unusual melodies and notes in a style of his own. Plus he has a real knack of leaving space and being rhythmically accurate without sounding rigid. He is in control of what he is playing in a soaring way. Miles Davis comes to mind (if only as regards the approach to solos), and I'm not joking either.

Not that I disagree about Ritchie, but yeah, Michael Schenker with UFO really didn't sound like any other guitarist to me.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
I can confirm that, Schenker is one of a kind too. I saw UFO just yesterday - opening for Priest in Stuttgart - and while Mogg's pipes are still fine (and the Way-replacement Rob de Luca plays of course a TBird), Vinnie Moore's Mike Varney/Shrapnel/Guitar Institute of Technology-acrobatices ruined every song, the guy is unable to even remotely emulate Schenker's lyrical melodicism and his rhythm playing has none of Schenker's musicality either. I really wanted to like that new line-up but Moore played throughout in a way as if he wanted to prove that people who dislike guitar solos have very good reason to. He can't take you on a journey in his solos and all his tricks and licks sound wanton. I know that any UFO guitarist has a chip on his shoulder because of the Schenker legacy, but compared to Vinnie Moore even Paul '"Tonka" Chapman and "Atomic" Tommy McClendon were inspired, consummate and tasteful musicians.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »

The first time I heard "Rock Bottom" I knew he was great - I think he's got a wonderful style as a soloist (he actually uses the whole fretboard like Blackmore) *and* he's a stellar rhythm player as well, which counts for even more in my bookie.